The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 22nd, 2019, 11:29pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   i developed one software how can i get patent
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: i developed one software how can i get patent  (Read 1168 times)
novice
i developed one software how can i get patent
« on: Nov 13th, 2007, 7:13am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

i developed a new software for online banking that is currently running on internet for extend the existing security . how can i get patent for it ? is it posasible for me to seel it with out getting patent?
IP Logged
patentsusa

Re: i developed one software how can i get patent
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15th, 2007, 2:11pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hire a patent attorney and have them prepare, file, and prosecute a patent application.  It is a long complex process.  Patent office allowance rates are at record lows, you should hire competent help.  If you have already started using the invention, you have started a clock running and there is a limited time during which you must get a patent application on file, or you lose the ability to protect the idea by patent.  With software, you may have some copyright rights available, but this protects narrowly against copying, and does not prevent anyone from independently developing software that performs the same function.
IP Logged

Deepak Malhotra, JD, BSEE
Registered Patent Attorney
Malhotra Law Firm
www.patentsusa.com
CriterionD

WWW Email

Re: i developed one software how can i get patent
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16th, 2007, 3:07pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Nov 13th, 2007, 7:13am, novice wrote:
is it posasible for me to seel it with out getting patent?

Why wouldn't it be possible for you to sell it without getting a patent?  Obtaining a patent means that you (or another licensed party) are the only one(s) who can possibly sell it (without infringing the patent), but it doesn't affect your existing ability (or inability) to sell it.

If seeking US patent protection, it may be possible for you to sell it for up to 12 months without negating your right to patent it.

This thread's from November, so who knows if the OP is still browsing the forum.  Nevertheless, whether he/she wants to file for a patent should be dependent on a few factors, including: his/her budget, the estimated scope of the relevant market opportunity (both in terms of $$ and product lifecycle), and the perceived ability (or inability) of others to develop a similar enough program without copying source code.
« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2007, 3:08pm by CriterionD » IP Logged

www.criteriondynamics.com
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »