The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 26th, 2020, 8:59pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   New Idea - Where to start ????????
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: New Idea - Where to start ????????  (Read 1231 times)
DJoshEsq

Email

Re: New Idea - Where to start ????????
« Reply #5 on: Nov 9th, 2007, 10:43am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Nov 7th, 2007, 11:39am, MattB wrote:
I would say, file for a non-provisional application.  Try not to spend too much on attorney fees, make sure it is broad enough and explicit enough to cover your idea.

Once you are patent pending, start raising money, as you have one year to file a PCT and 30 months before the $$ must be spent to file in foreign countries.  Make your prototype(s), contact Chinese manufacturer (or other cheap venue) and mass produce.  Begin selling your product.  Make a well crafted patent notice letter to any new competitor who may infringe on your patent(s) and send them out as needed.

Once you've sold your first 100000 or so units you can quit your day job and/or hire your new staff.

Congrats and Good Luck!

Draft and file a provisional patent application.  Filing fee is only $110.  Make sure the dsiclosure does not contain any limiting language and describes every aspect of your invention and modifications that you can evision.  A provisional patent application will give you even more time to get things going.
IP Logged

D. Joshua Smith, Esq.
Registered Patent Attorney
McDonald Hopkins, LLC
Cleveland, OH
216-348-5400
JSonnabend

Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 9th, 2007, 10:50am »

on Nov 9th, 2007, 10:43am, DJoshEsq wrote:
Make sure the dsiclosure does not contain any limiting language and describes every aspect of your invention and modifications that you can evision.

I've got to say, that line made me chuckle.  "Draft a provisional application, but make sure you do it right (even though you have no idea what you're doing)."  Great, easier said than done by a layperson, wouldn't you say?

- Jeff
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2007, 10:51am by JSonnabend » IP Logged

SonnabendLaw
Intellectual Property and Technology Law
Brooklyn, USA
718-832-8810
JSonnabend@SonnabendLaw.com
Wiscagent

« Reply #7 on: Nov 9th, 2007, 4:09pm »

I agree Jeff.  I generally have a problem with the knee-jerk reaction to "I have a great idea!" being "File a patent application!"

The inventor should first have some idea what their business approach might be, whether or not their idea is patentable subject matter, and what benefits a patent application could potentially offer.  There are plenty of "great ideas" for which a patent has no role - think Pet Rock.  

I might have a great idea to open a pawn shop down the street from a mortgage loan business, but filing a patent application will not help me get my business up and running.
IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
ProfessorFudger

Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 12th, 2007, 9:08am »

Things are certainly looking positive here, I contacted business link, who put me in contact with the East Riding Business Centre run by the local council, and I am going to sit down with a Business Advisor in Friday to discuss, also I have a potential investor as well, who says if an engineer thinks the idea is viable and the business plan is sound then he may also by very interested. So in one week things are progressing step by step, but hopefully the right way forward!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »