The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 28th, 2020, 1:15pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   what kind of additional costs can I be looking at?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: what kind of additional costs can I be looking at?  (Read 355 times)
kouzi

what kind of additional costs can I be looking at?
« on: Nov 4th, 2007, 7:56am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

After your patent is filed, and before the product is actually making you some money, what other additional costs need to be considered?
IP Logged
Wiscagent

Re: what kind of additional costs can I be looking
« Reply #1 on: Nov 4th, 2007, 12:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

How much and when you start to make money on your product is largely independent of the prosecution of your patent application.  

The timing and cost of prosecuting a patent application varies greatly. At the low end of the range, an application that is granted without significant rejections, can cost as little as a few hundred dollars in legal fees and a few hundred in patent office fees to get the patent issued; so at a minimum, figure on about $1000 (above and beyond initial costs to draft and file the application) and a couple of years.

More typically, there will be rejections for your patent practitioner to deal with, and it is likely that amendments will be required, Ill make a rough estimate that $3000 - $6000 is typical for legal fees and patent office fees of about $1000-$2000.

The high end is virtually unlimited.
« Last Edit: Nov 4th, 2007, 3:13pm by Wiscagent » IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »