The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 28th, 2020, 2:12pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   HELP!!! Information Overload!!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: HELP!!! Information Overload!!  (Read 371 times)
brian-wylie

HELP!!! Information Overload!!
« on: Oct 22nd, 2007, 2:11am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I believe i have invented a game similar to Sudoku and Magic Squares in the sense that it is a numbers game within a square grid.  The concept and grid design though is different enough to be considered unique.  I know I'm going to need a patent, apply for a trademark and register my copyright.  I'm unsure though about a design patent.  With all of this applying and registering, I'm wondering just how much of it is really necessary, and if there is something I'm missing about streamlining this process.  There is just so much information to read and consider, that I feel very overwhelmed.  Please help.

Thanks.  Brian
IP Logged
CriterionD

WWW Email

Re: HELP!!! Information Overload!!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 22nd, 2007, 4:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

What are you trying to copyright (or obtain a design patent on)?  If its simply your barebones grid design, it likely won't be subject to copyright protection or design patent protection.  Also, while registering a copyright has benefits - you usually never need to register a copyright to have copyright protection when applicable.  

Its hard to address your concerns without knowing more.  Also - while I probably shouldn't be so nitpicky here - I'll point out that you can't really apply for a trademark.  You either have one or you don't, and you can apply for registration if you would like.

In short, in general, utility patents protect novel and non-obvious product innovations that provide increased utility versus the "prior art," design patents protect ornamental (but not "utilitarian") aspects of a product that has "utility." Trademarks protect branding and are established by use and not by registration.  Copyrights generally protect against the copying of original works of art (but not "utilitarian" products, or ideas for such expressed by a work of art).  
« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2007, 4:28pm by CriterionD » IP Logged

www.criteriondynamics.com
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »