The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 26th, 2019, 7:47pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   what is the cheapest avenue for a patent?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: what is the cheapest avenue for a patent?  (Read 12471 times)
John Anderson
Re: what is the cheapest avenue for a patent?
« Reply #35 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 7:03am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Just from reading this thread it sounds like there are a lot of desperate and hungry patent agents and attorneys out there. Maybe you all should quit discouraging people. Math is simple, if you don't have the money and can't save it due to your current circumstances, than hiring an attorney is not an option. It's off the table.  
So the advice of these hungry professionals is don't try it on your own, just curl up in a ball and die. In which case you have 0% chance of realizing your dreams.  
IP Logged
Wiscagent

« Reply #36 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 10:01am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Dear John,

In this forum it is rare to see a patent agent or patent attorney soliciting business.  And by the way, I don’t consider myself to be either desperate or hungry (I had a big bowl of oatmeal for breakfast).

I do agree that “... if you don't have the money and can't save it due to your current circumstances, than hiring an attorney is not an option. It's off the table.”

But for most small or start-up businesses applying for a patent is not a particularly important part of a business plan.  I frequently advise that if person has a great business idea (including an invention), that person needs to prioritize activities and expenditures related to the business.  In most situations getting a patent comes lower on the priority list than manufacturing, distribution, advertizing, and a dozen other tasks.

For the rare small business that must have a patent to succeed, the inventor / business owner must either get some start-up money and hire a professional; or apply for a patent on their own and recognize that there will be a cost in time, effort and money.  And after several years the patent may or may not be granted.  And a do-it-yourself patent, even if granted is unlikely to have much business value.  

I’m not suggesting that the inventor “just curl up in a ball and die.”  But the inventor should recognize that having a wonderful new invention is not sufficient to make big bucks.  It still takes a substantial investment of time, effort and money.

Go on, follow your dreams, I wish you well.  But don’t expect the typical patent professional to take you on as a charity case ... after all ... you’re also just in it for the money.
IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
john anderson
« Reply #37 on: Oct 4th, 2007, 4:48pm »

Wiscagent,

Your post was great. After looking back at the thread your posts were very helpful and my comment wasn't directed at you. I just want to be clear, millions are made each day on products with Patent Pending Status which is achieved through a "provisional patent application", apparently a bad word.  
Also an indisputable fact is that 97% of patents never make a dime. So if someone suggests that you  hire a patent attorney, there is only a 3% chance that is good advice. If however, you are already making money on the invention than it's obvious that you should hire a professional to CYA.
IP Logged
kaidi
« Reply #38 on: Oct 31st, 2007, 12:13pm »

that is the best answer on my view.
kd
 registered patent agent and lawyer in China.
IP Logged
kylestephen

« Reply #39 on: Nov 21st, 2007, 5:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Clearly stated, the willingness, or lack of to invest, at whatever level, in your product (in this case, its protection & enforceability) translates into your belief in the product, which then translates to a company interested in licensing it. Kellie has shown us what she feels her creation is worth, so let's move on to something more "worthwhile"...
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »