The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 27th, 2019, 3:43am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Selling a Patent
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Selling a Patent  (Read 3512 times)
Derek Calloura
Selling a Patent
« on: Jun 18th, 2007, 5:02pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi all,  if I already have a patent and chose to sell the rights, is this a good idea in general?  I know it might depend on if the buyer thinks they can make money off of it, but is it worth it to sell, or keep trying to find a manufacture?  I've had multiple companies eagerly want to do the work for me.  Of course, I know its their job to help everyone out, but the only reason I haven't  so far is the initial costs to get this rolling.  I'm debating just to sell my rights to the highest bidder.  Is it as easy as that?  I have no clue.

Thanks
IP Logged
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

Re: Selling a Patent
« Reply #1 on: Jun 19th, 2007, 7:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Sorry, there's no general answer to that question.  It's like asking "is it a good idea to sell my house rather than rent it out, in general?"  There's just no way to answer that question.  We help you get property.  How you make money from your property is a business decision.

Regards.
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
biopico

« Reply #2 on: Jun 19th, 2007, 8:11pm »

In biotech area, if you have a patent(s):

1. Some people are looking for licensees (partial or exclusive) and collect fees;
2. Others may want to sell the patent rights

It could be easy to achieve either 1 or 2, but sometimes it is very very difficult to find people who are interested in your patent(s).  

IP Logged

Registered Patent Agent Specializing in All Areas of Biotechnology
siddharthk

« Reply #3 on: Jun 20th, 2007, 6:28am »

think about it from this angle  
term of patent 20years. how long do u think ur product would take to be obsolete and the money that can be earned within that period if u think that u might get that money in one instant then it may be worth thinking of selling it. However u have another option which i think would ensure better returns. License out the rights to manufacture and sell enter into a licensing agreement which would have a royalty portion which will ensure inflow of money. make a market survey of how much u think ur product is worth may be u cud collect royalty per piece sold  
i hope this will be of some help
IP Logged
doug vagedes

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 20th, 2007, 7:28am »

Mr. Calloura.  Establishing a value on intellectual property is much more complicated than determining a fair market price on your real property.

While most inventors are confident that their idea will make millions, there is a great deal of risk involved for the individual or company to turn your idea into a successful well marketed product that provides a return on investment.  Not to mention, the time, energy and capital required to do so.

On the other hand, the more sales history to support your valuation, a buyer is able to make a better decision as to risk and return.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »