The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 31st, 2023, 11:58pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Any way to protect a trivial idea?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Any way to protect a trivial idea?  (Read 1858 times)
still_studying
Re: Any way to protect a trivial idea?
« Reply #5 on: Jun 23rd, 2007, 7:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I did note that it's a "trivial" modification.  A patent application, provisional or non, would be pointless, since the basic tool is already well-known in the field.  It's just a question of suggesting that one company make a minor change to their injection molds for future runs.

Picture trying to patent a set of measuring cups with holes in the handles so that they can go on a hook, just to pitch it to one manufacturer which forgot (or chose not) to put the holes in.  Embarassed
IP Logged
biopico

« Reply #6 on: Jun 24th, 2007, 6:47am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Well, it is a good thought though.
IP Logged

Registered Patent Agent Specializing in All Areas of Biotechnology
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

« Reply #7 on: Jun 25th, 2007, 3:36pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jun 23rd, 2007, 7:54pm, still_studying wrote:
I did note that it's a "trivial" modification.

Trivial in how to do it?  Or trivial in why do it?

For example, one might argue that it's trivial to put a bottle open in the sole of a shoe.  But I'd submit  that it's not obvious to do that.  For example, it would probably make the shoe uncomfortable and I haven't heard of anyone thinking about any sort of culinary aparatus on the soles of their feet.  

Incidentally, that product is not recommended for wearing to the doggie park.

The problem with the holes in the handles of measuring cups for hook-hanging isn't that it's obvious; the problem is that it was non-obvious several hundred years ago, if ever.  It's probable that putting an eraser on the end of a pencil was non-obvious at some time, even if how to accomplish that was trivial.

Regards.
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
still_studying
« Reply #8 on: Jun 29th, 2007, 2:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Jun 25th, 2007, 3:36pm, JimIvey wrote:

Trivial in how to do it?  Or trivial in why do it?

In my little wish-list gadget mod, both, unfortunately.  But good point.
Quote:
I haven't heard of anyone thinking about any sort of culinary aparatus on the soles of their feet.

The French have been doing it for bloody centuries in the wine industry.  Haven't you ever heard of Chat-Eau Le Feet?  Grin

Quote:
The problem with the holes in the handles of measuring cups for hook-hanging isn't that it's obvious; the problem is that it was non-obvious several hundred years ago, if ever.

Likewise with this gadget, unfortunately.  This particular product is unique in its design, and is patented, and because of its unique design it is well-suited to having a gripper added.  However, such bottle-opening grippers are both well-known in the art and, more specifically, well-known in the art for this general type of gadget.  Oh well.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »