The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 26th, 2019, 6:36am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   A preliminary provisional filing?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: A preliminary provisional filing?  (Read 4465 times)
TataBoxInhibitor

Re: A preliminary provisional filing?
« Reply #15 on: Jun 25th, 2007, 10:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jun 25th, 2007, 3:21pm, JimIvey wrote:

If you mean that the adequacy of the provisional application is insufficient to provide a meaningful priority date, I'm sure it happens all the time, but I have yet to see that adjudicated and I haven't experienced it.

Yes.  I was referring to this.  Regarding Isaac's post...I assume that is why some include a general broad claim in the provisional?  
IP Logged
Jp

Email

« Reply #16 on: Dec 10th, 2007, 8:51am »

I am offering a question here not to show how much I don't know but to clarify my puzzled curiousity, and to create a review of the subject, that may be beneficial, not only to myself but, to future readers.

My question regarding applying for a patent for a manuscript is;  

Does this have an advantage over a copyright or is it advisable to have both licenses applied for ?

Can you give an example of a manuscript subject that would be purposeful in the patent protection advantage context ?

« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2007, 9:02am by Jp » IP Logged

The Owner Of An Invention Usually Is The Inventor.
CriterionD

WWW Email

« Reply #17 on: Dec 10th, 2007, 12:52pm »

on Dec 10th, 2007, 8:51am, Jp wrote:

My question regarding applying for a patent for a manuscript is;  

Does this have an advantage over a copyright or is it advisable to have both licenses applied for ?

Depends...clarification is needed to give a definite answer.

Copyright and Patent law protect different things.  Patents protect new and useful (and "non obvious") product/service innovations.  In this context, copyright law protects original literary works (and possibly original artwork on the manuscript's cover, but that can be ignored for now).

If your manuscript described a patentable invention, only a patent could protect against others making, using, or selling the invention (but a patent would not protect against someone copying your manuscript).  Copyright law - for which protection is generally automatic though registration has useful benefits - would simply protect against others copying your manuscript.

« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2007, 12:56pm by CriterionD » IP Logged

www.criteriondynamics.com
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »