The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 23rd, 2020, 1:00am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   finding a patent attorney/agent
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: finding a patent attorney/agent  (Read 1432 times)
biopico

Re: finding a patent attorney/agent
« Reply #5 on: Mar 19th, 2007, 6:19pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Mar 19th, 2007, 3:41pm, timcd100 wrote:
I have a few additional questions, thanks again. Is it sometimes the case that an attorney/firm will not get back to you because they have too much else on their hands with other clients?

Do some firms limit their clients to large entities and exclude individual inventors?

Do the services of individual attorneys usually cost less than those of firms?

To oversimplify my personal answers to your question, it is all about capitalism.  If you can spend money like water, your lawyer will contact you anytime you want.  Your legal matter is on the top of the list.  If not, you will be contacted when your lawyer doesn't have anything else to do.  Why would some lawfirms deal with big entities? It is because of  more money coming.

My opinions may sound extreme, but it will help you to get some insight on what I am trying to tell you.

IP Logged

Registered Patent Agent Specializing in All Areas of Biotechnology
timcd100

« Reply #6 on: Mar 20th, 2007, 10:40am »

One more question- by how much do the costs of different attorneys/firms often differ? Would I be right to assume that an established firm serving huge corporations would charge 10k for a patent application that one attorney who's not located in an expensive patent city like NYC or in California would charge 5k for? I'm not sure what percentage difference to expect among different places.
IP Logged
Wiscagent

« Reply #7 on: Mar 20th, 2007, 3:45pm »

There are patent agents who handle cases for $5000 +/-.  You can conduct an internet search for them.  Take a look at their web site, give them a call, and decide if they can do a good job for you.
IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

« Reply #8 on: Mar 22nd, 2007, 9:35am »

I've seen provisional applications filed for as little as $500.  But worth $0.  I've seen applications (real ones) filed for $20,000 that were worth $0 -- well, maybe they posed a certain amount of risk for others giving a value of slightly more than $0.

To quote an experienced litigator, "I'm so sick and tired of looking over a portfolio of 200+ patents and then having to tell the client that, after spending a few million dollars on patents, they have not one that is enforceable."

Patents are either sufficient, or they're not.  There's no partial credit for good effort.  If you can't fund a solid effort in obtaining valuable IP rights, then how are you going to fund a solid effort in converting the IP into money?  None of the process is free and none of it is easy.

If you're not going to actually use your IP, then you shouldn't pay anything for it.  If you're going to use it, it had better stand up to scrutiny.

To quote the say litigator: "quality matters."  (emphasis by the litigator, not me).

Regards.
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »