The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 28th, 2020, 2:00am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   finding a patent attorney/agent
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: finding a patent attorney/agent  (Read 1440 times)
timcd100

finding a patent attorney/agent
« on: Mar 18th, 2007, 5:57pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Given the cost of attorney fees, I've been hoping to come accross a resource with which I can effectively find the right patent attorney/firm for me. I tried some legal service search sites but those only produced a handful of attorneys that weren't quite what I was looking for, as did google. The USPTO site's results were too voluminous and vague to be useful.

Compounding that is that I learned that a patent attorney/firm doesn't even have to be in your geographical location or meet you face to face, making the process of choosing a legal service seem even more confusing. I'm looking for a service for an individual inventor that's moderately priced and for an attorney that specializes in business and software methods, but first (or at the same time) I'm looking for a patent search/opinion.  

Before I just take a stab at one of these dozen or so attorneys/firms that show up from an internet search, is there any helpful well known resource that I'm missing? Thanks if anyone knows.

Hint: Don't type the address of the site in directly or your post will be lost when you're prompted back to the text editor,  tempting you to shake your fists in torment.
IP Logged
plex

Re: finding a patent attorney/agent
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18th, 2007, 8:31pm »

www(dot)yourwebsiteinfo(dot)com
IP Logged
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

« Reply #2 on: Mar 18th, 2007, 8:37pm »

Responding in reverse order....

Only new users can't post links.  We've been innundated with spam and that was one of the compromises -- no links until you've posted some minimum number of items.  FWIW, I've been personally removing about 2-5 spam posts per day.  In the topics I monitor, it's beginning to look like spam:ham is about 1:2.

As for e-commerce and software, I do those.  At the risk of sounding self-serving, I can't think of anyone else in that technology I'd recommend.  

As for search engines for patent attorneys, they really don't exist.  The good ones are hard to find because they're busy and they don't advertise much.  They get their work by word-of-mouth and aren't looking for any other ways to get work.  You can tell you've found one when they don't get back to you for weeks at a time.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.  That's the way things are at the moment.  There are a few inventors' groups you might look into.  One is something like invented.org.  There's an "IP Society" based in either Monterey or Santa Cruz.  Those are where I'd start.  If you really want to find lots of IP attorneys, go to some continuing legal education seminar for IP attorneys.  We all have to go to one of those sooner or later.

Regards.
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
timcd100

« Reply #3 on: Mar 19th, 2007, 3:41pm »

I have a few additional questions, thanks again. Is it sometimes the case that an attorney/firm will not get back to you because they have too much else on their hands with other clients?

Do some firms limit their clients to large entities and exclude individual inventors?

Do the services of individual attorneys usually cost less than those of firms?

IP Logged
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

« Reply #4 on: Mar 19th, 2007, 4:11pm »

on Mar 19th, 2007, 3:41pm, timcd100 wrote:
I have a few additional questions, thanks again. Is it sometimes the case that an attorney/firm will not get back to you because they have too much else on their hands with other clients?

Yes.

Do some firms limit their clients to large entities and exclude individual inventors?

Yes, some do (I think).  Others don't.

Do the services of individual attorneys usually cost less than those of firms?

Oftentimes, yes.  Sometimes, no.

Regards.
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »