The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 7th, 2019, 10:43pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Product improvement idea Where do I go from here??
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Product improvement idea Where do I go from here??  (Read 1251 times)
The_Improver

Email

Product improvement idea Where do I go from here??
« on: Feb 7th, 2007, 12:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

First, Let me thank you for taking the time to read my message.  I stumbled across this web site today and was very happy to find it.

Hereís a brief description:
I have an idea to improve an existing product in the radio controlled hobby industry.  It would involve taking two existing products used in this particular hobby and combining them into one product.  This would result in only having to carry one item instead of two for the user.  I would love to have one because Iím now using two and itís a hassle to keep pulling one of them out of my pocket.  

I believe many of the companies which manufacture one of the products would be very interested in the idea because it would be a huge sales advantage over their competitors.
I have done my own search on U.S. Patent and trademark online and have not found a product like it.  I do have the ability and funds to make one working prototype in my shop.  

Now that you have some background, here are my questions.
Do I build the prototype?  
Do I file for a U.S. Patent?  
Do I file a foreign patent?  
Should I try to sell the idea to a company?  If so, how can I protect my idea?

Iím really confused in what direction to take this.  Iíve heard the saying ďOver analysis leads to paralysisĒÖI think Iím at that stage and I need to move forward.   Any comments or suggestions would be great!
IP Logged
kennethc

Re: Product improvement idea Where do I go from he
« Reply #1 on: Feb 7th, 2007, 1:21pm »

The first thing you want to do is to conduct patentability test.  i.e. Whether if your invention passing Obvious test.

IP Logged
The_Improver

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 7th, 2007, 1:41pm »

Do you mean the following?

New or Novel: The invention must be demonstrably different from publicly available ideas, inventions, or products (so-called "prior art"). This does not mean that every aspect of an invention must be novel. For example, new uses of known processes, machines, compositions of matter and materials are patentable. Incremental improvements on known processes also may be patentable.

Useful: The invention must have some application or utility or be an improvement over existing products and/or techniques.

Non-Obvious: The invention cannot be obvious to a person of "ordinary skill" in the field; non-obviousness usually is demonstrated by showing that practicing the invention yields surprising, unexpected results.

If not, could you give me a little more detail.  I'm new at this whole process.  Thanks

IP Logged
kennethc

« Reply #3 on: Feb 9th, 2007, 10:33am »

yes the above...

IP Logged
The_Improver

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 10th, 2007, 11:37am »

By following the patentability test (the above post) and the invention passing Obvious test.  It all seems to be a go.  So what would be the next step?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »