The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Aug 24th, 2019, 11:25pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   provisional patents and a large 'system'
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: provisional patents and a large 'system'  (Read 593 times)
nate mayweather
provisional patents and a large 'system'
« on: Jan 25th, 2007, 2:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

i have designed a software system that i want to get patented

after looking at the software extensively and breaking it down, i think there are 3 seperate subsystems that should each apply for their own patent.

as such, i plan on filing 3 patents.

however, i can not afford 3 patents right now.  nor can i afford 1 patent, as my funds are tied up in a 2 other patents.  so i plan on submitting provisional patents until i can afford the legal expenses of a real patent.

and so i ask this:
the inventions are important enough for me to seek legal help in filing the provisional applications -- which means it will take about a month of paperwork and dealing with lawyers.  my current ip lawyer is not suitable for this kind of invention, so i need to look elsewhere - he has provided me with some references.

in the meantime, i am debating filing provisionals myself - sending in the current white papers until i can get a better version of the specification in.  the opporunity of the preferred filing date would help a lot with the current stress i'm under from inventing.

so i ask this: is it possible to file a provisional patent for that covers a system of ( A, B, C ) and then file real patent applications for A, B , C independantly that can each claim a priority filing date of the same provisional ?
IP Logged
Isaac

Re: provisional patents and a large 'system'
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25th, 2007, 2:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jan 25th, 2007, 2:28pm, nate mayweather wrote:
so i ask this: is it possible to file a provisional patent for that covers a system of ( A, B, C ) and then file real patent applications for A, B , C independantly that can each claim a priority filing date of the same provisional ?

I'm going to avoid pontificating on the wisdom of taking this approach except to say that there is no such thing as a provisional patent.

Multiple utility applications can claim priority to the same provisional application.
IP Logged

Isaac
JSonnabend

Email

Re: provisional patents and a large 'system'
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30th, 2007, 4:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Isaac is correct.  What's more, a provisional patent is only as good as the disclosure.  As a corollary, a cheap provisional application is likely worth less than you paid for it.

My advice would be to find a qualified attorney (there are several here, myself included) to draft a complete disclosure covering everything, with or without claims, and you can file formal apps/continuations as time and budget permits.

- Jeff
« Last Edit: Jan 30th, 2007, 4:18pm by JSonnabend » IP Logged

SonnabendLaw
Intellectual Property and Technology Law
Brooklyn, USA
718-832-8810
JSonnabend@SonnabendLaw.com
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »