The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Aug 21st, 2019, 10:15am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Can I bypass a patent if I have a potential buyer?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Can I bypass a patent if I have a potential buyer?  (Read 1202 times)
Wiscagent

Re: Can I bypass a patent if I have a potential bu
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30th, 2007, 10:19pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

"Is there a way to approach one of these companies with the idea, offer it to them to ... without going through a patent?"

You can approach the companies, giving them a broad, general idea of what your invention can do for them.  Then, if they are willing to sign a non-disclosure agreement, reveal more details.  Assuming that they honor the non-disclosure agreement, your patent rights would be intact.

"...if I were to go ahead with a patent, how long before some level of protection is attained?"

When you first file your patent application that helps establish that you developed the invention as of that date.  But you do not have the right to sue anyone for infringing your patent until the patent actually issues - and that typically takes 2-5 years.  Note that only about 2/3rds of all patent applications actually are granted as patents.

"what is a reasonable price I should expect to pay for a patent?"

Patent office fees are about $1000.  Legal fees are typically $5000 to $15,000.  

"Is working with a local attorney better than working via internet?"

It generally doesn't make much of a difference.  Note that only a patent attorney or a patent agent can represent you before the patent office.  Most attorneys are not patent attorneys.
IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
kennethc

Re: Can I bypass a patent if I have a potential bu
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31st, 2007, 8:31am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

if you have less understanding of patent. I believe, you're probably not familiar with licensing as well.

Licensing is one of the toughest processes

Our invention is in National pending & PCT stage. The manufacturers who interest to our product (consumer gadgets) are playing games and throwing hard balls during the negotiation...
« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2007, 8:33am by kennethc » IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »