The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 30th, 2020, 3:18pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Clarification
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Clarification  (Read 750 times)
scotthoodriver

Clarification
« on: Dec 3rd, 2006, 10:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I guess what I am trying to say is I have an idea for a product.  There are other companies who make products that sort of do some of the things my product does but none of them have all of the features that my product does.  None of the existing products do what they do as well as mine does either.  

Looking through the patent database for 4 days now and I have found "methods" and "systems"  for doing
individual things that my product could be considered doing in some instances but not in all.  

Specifically in one instance, one of my products abilities has the ability to utilize a method that is described in one of the patent claims as well as the ability to utilize at least one other method.  

I know this is all vague but maybe somebody out there is bored Wink
IP Logged
scotthoodriver

Re: Clarification
« Reply #1 on: Dec 3rd, 2006, 11:06pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

So I finally find a patent that describes in detail my system and methods.  I knew I wasn't the first to think of it.  Anyway the patent was issued in 1975 does this mean it is now public knowledge and anybody can make and market a product as described.   Or does a patent get renewed?
IP Logged
guest@guest.com
« Reply #2 on: Dec 4th, 2006, 5:00am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

There is no "renewing" of a patent that has expired.  
The subject manner and claims of a patent that old are dedicated to the public.  You cannot claim the same thing described in that document and get your own patent.  

You can try to come up with a novel or ortherwise non-obvious improvement that is not taught or suggested in that reference that might be patentable.  There is a risk that your improvement might be taught or suggested in one or more other references, however.  

If you do file for a patent remember your duty to disclose information that is pertinent, including the reference(s) you found.
IP Logged
Hear Hear
« Reply #3 on: Dec 5th, 2006, 3:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Novel

If everyone else has just got

A+B+C

or A+B+D

or A+C+D+E

and you have  

A+B+C+D+E

then it is novel

But you need to test whether or not an average person in the industry would have come up with A+B+C+D+E

Its good if one of those components currently does not exist at all. And the more components you have (generally) the less likely a normal person in the industry would have come up the same invention.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »