The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 27th, 2020, 3:16pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   All in one panel...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: All in one panel...  (Read 1711 times)
Harry

WWW Email

All in one panel...
« on: Nov 9th, 2006, 4:00pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all,

I have an idea that I developed with respect to panels for interior walls and ceilings of enclosed structures.  Basically the product insulates very efficiently, absorbes sound and can be impregnated with a fire retardant very easily.  The product is lightweight, rigid and is under 4 lbs for a 4' x 8' x 1/2 " sheets, and and costs around 15 dollars a square foot to manufacture.  Currently the panels in the market don't have the performance/qualities and cost anywhere from 50 - 60 dollars retail.

A general search of the materials and performance combinations has come up empty in the patent database.  

How can I sell the idea as I am not too interested in patenting the product myself?

Any help would be appreciated

Regards

Harry
IP Logged

If you are interested in a license...you must know how to drive.
Harry

WWW Email

Re: All in one panel...
« Reply #1 on: Nov 9th, 2006, 5:44pm »

Oops... that was supposed to be 15 cents a sq ft to manufacture.....and 50-60 cents a sq ft retail.... sorry about that folks.  It makes a heck of a difference.
IP Logged

If you are interested in a license...you must know how to drive.
TataBoxInhibitor

« Reply #2 on: Nov 9th, 2006, 11:54pm »

Make sure you have a Non-Disclosure Agreement in place with those you discuss the invention with.  Attorneys are bound by the Duty of Confidentiality, so generally, no NDA really needed there.
IP Logged
Bill Richards

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 10th, 2006, 5:51am »

on Nov 9th, 2006, 11:54pm, TataBoxInhibitor wrote:
Attorneys are bound by the Duty of Confidentiality, so generally, no NDA really needed there.

This is correct, but I want to add one caveat.  This is true as long as one is speaking with someone "as an attorney".  If you happen to be talking with someone who just happens to be an attorney (e.g., neighbor) and whom you've not approached as an attorney, the attorney-client privilege may not attach.  It may vary slightly by state.  Anyone licensed to practice before the PTO is also covered, but there are some subtle differences.  And, I don't know what case law there may be about agents.  (See 37 CFR 10.57.)
IP Logged

William B. Richards, P.E.
The Richards Law Firm
Patents, Trademarks, and Copyrights
614/939-1488
Hear Hear
« Reply #4 on: Nov 10th, 2006, 3:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

well you dont have much choice. Generally the only way you can sell it is 2 means

1) File a provisional patent - this will cost you $80. And allows you to disclose your ideas to third parties at a minimized risk, test your market, really understand your market. (ie if manufactures are excited about your ideas)

You also have 1 year to build a pro-type and can outsource it to third parties at minimal risk.

If there is a market, a willing manufacture, financials are good. Patent it. Else either refile another provisional after 1 year OR pretend you never filled it and move along.

2) Approach manufactures in the same market. Pick one or a few and hope they will act professionally.. and not steal your idea.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »