The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Aug 4th, 2020, 9:41pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   I have a question
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: I have a question  (Read 1467 times)
deerchooper

I have a question
« on: Oct 8th, 2006, 7:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

i have an idea for an ATV, aftermarket part. this atv will not be out until march of 2007. i have seen pictures of it and seen what ppl dislike or feal a little conserned about the design of the atv. now i feal if i can beat the jump on the larger atv aftermarket co. i might win out, but would rather have them make the part.  

how would i go about dealing with the big aftermarket co.? how can i protect myself from them? someone told me to have them sign a NDA paper or something, which i dont know what that means.

I emailed a couple co. but only one repled to my massage. i didnt even tell them what kind of part it was, but i know it would sell like hot cakes. heres what they wrote.

Hello Terry-  
I am not exactly sure when we are going to receive our first bike.  
Depending on the kind of measurements you are looking for, there is a  
possibility that we can help you. As far as the partnership, there again  
that is going to be something that can be taken into consideration, I am not  
going to promise one way or the other, but if you would like to explain your  
idea a little bit, we can at least consider it. There is a good chance that  
your local dealer will have a bike before us, depending on where you live.  

Thanks  
Bo ****XX  

i asked him if he could give me some measurements, because they allways seam to have parts for something just as there released. then i went into asking him if WE could work something out, like i design it, you label it.

HELP ME, HELP ME, PLEASE.  
thank you for your time
terry
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2006, 7:14pm by deerchooper » IP Logged
biopico

Re: I have a question
« Reply #1 on: Oct 8th, 2006, 7:46pm »

Please check the site for the definition of NDA:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-disclosure_agreement
IP Logged

Registered Patent Agent Specializing in All Areas of Biotechnology
Bill Richards

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 9th, 2006, 5:28am »

An NDA is a good start, but you should also make sure you've thoroughly documented your invention so that you can prove your invention date.  Do you have even a prototype?  You might contact a qualified patent practitioner before you begin substantive talks with any company.
Also, the wikipedia site does not cover IP rights - an important thing to consider when exchanging information with another company.  I've seen many of these arrangements, and it always helps to decide beforehand who owns what if there are inventions during the exchanges.
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2006, 8:07am by Bill Richards » IP Logged

William B. Richards, P.E.
The Richards Law Firm
Patents, Trademarks, and Copyrights
614/939-1488
deerchooper

« Reply #3 on: Oct 13th, 2006, 7:20am »

thank you biopico
IP Logged
deerchooper

« Reply #4 on: Oct 13th, 2006, 7:30am »

on Oct 9th, 2006, 5:28am, Bill Richards wrote:
An NDA is a good start, but you should also make sure you've thoroughly documented your invention so that you can prove your invention date.  Do you have even a prototype?  You might contact a qualified patent practitioner before you begin substantive talks with any company.
Also, the wikipedia site does not cover IP rights - an important thing to consider when exchanging information with another company.  I've seen many of these arrangements, and it always helps to decide beforehand who owns what if there are inventions during the exchanges.

no i do not have the prototype built, its in my head. the atv has not been released to the public yet so i cant build from it and i highly dought the atv manufacture will send me any measurements of the machine.  

i could have one built in 2 days or less, its a very simple design. every aftermarket co. will make one, but i think mine will be different and better. plus the consumer will see the advantages of mine, which i think they will sell over and beyond the standard type.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »