The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 24th, 2020, 5:15pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Making the Contact
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Making the Contact  (Read 1392 times)
Atomical

Making the Contact
« on: Sep 23rd, 2006, 8:05pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have a non-provisional software patent and I would like to show it around to investors.  So far Google has been the only easy contact, although I'm sure my idea will be rebuffed by no reply.  Does anyone have any suggestions for contacting businesses who may have a legitimate interest in your invention?  Sure, I could send out a bunch of emails to general email boxes for large corporations, but the chances of them responding are nil.  If my idea sucks then the goal would be to get some feedback.
IP Logged
LF

Re: Making the Contact
« Reply #1 on: Oct 3rd, 2006, 5:54am »

In general, Cold calling has low hit rates. Sending it to someone inside you might know, or whose job is to evaluate stuff like yours will work best.

Since those contacts might be unavailable for you, I would try the investors relations portion of the company before trying the general mailbox.
IP Logged
biopico

« Reply #2 on: Oct 3rd, 2006, 6:45am »

What about the Chief Business Officer, or Business Relatioins Manager in prospective companies?
IP Logged

Registered Patent Agent Specializing in All Areas of Biotechnology
CriterionD

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 3rd, 2006, 11:55am »

I would aim for the Director of New Product Development if it exists.  Possibly a marketing executive.  

Without doing in depth research, press releases and annual reports are usually available on company websites and can help point you to the names of various executives.  Additionally there may be databases available online through your local library that can help identify executives at particular companies.

Its tough because the "right" contact at each company will differ.  And if the person you get hrough to is unimportant enough it could be useless as that person will not carry any weight around the office, and yet if the person would be considered too important to spend time and thought on a random invention that could work against you as well.  Creativity can help put together a well laid plan.

"If my idea sucks then the goal would be to get some feedback,"  thats the other thing, looking for feedback should be a separate mission than looking for investment.  You want to be able to approach potential investors with more confidence than that.  Ideally you want feedback before going to potential investors - this will either help boost your confidence or help you improve your pitch (or, I guess in some cases it could just save you time and effort).
IP Logged

www.criteriondynamics.com
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

« Reply #4 on: Oct 3rd, 2006, 1:01pm »

I've heard it's easier to get someone from sales on your side (they tend to be excited about new things vs. a product manager who sees your idea as one more thing to manage).  Once you have a salesperson on your side, the support goes up the chain of command rather than laterally to the product manager who might rather keep things as they are.

I have not expertice in that particular area -- it's just one more view point to consider.

Regards.
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »