The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 24th, 2019, 9:46pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   I want to sell my idea
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: I want to sell my idea  (Read 18190 times)
doug vagedes

Email

Re: I want to sell my idea
« Reply #20 on: Jun 13th, 2007, 6:21am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Smartchante.  I am looking for certain products in certain markets to license and was curious about your smart bottle.  Please contact me if you would like to discuss.  

By the way, when I searched on-line for your smart bottle, another bottle shows up with the name Smart Bottle and it's already trademarked.  By your post, I don't think that it would be yours.  You will probably want to start thinking about a different name.

Thanks
« Last Edit: Jun 13th, 2007, 6:24am by doug vagedes » IP Logged
Stuart Bliss
« Reply #21 on: Jul 25th, 2007, 1:23pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

My Idea is Fantastic and great it allready has a poor mans patent.I am so sure my idea will blow the Digital media out of the window. If anybody want to know about my fantastic idea and pay me billions and billions of pounds then please find a way to contact me.  allready have a prototype.So if ayone has any idea how I can make thes billions and Billions of pounds please contact me.  Grin
IP Logged
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

« Reply #22 on: Jul 25th, 2007, 6:33pm »

on Jul 25th, 2007, 1:23pm, Stuart Bliss wrote:
... it allready has a poor mans patent.

No such thing as a poor man's patent.  There is only one kind of utility patent in this country (US), and it's sufficient or it's not by one legal standard irregardless of how much you paid for it.

Hopefully, whatever you have was procured through a legitimate process and has legally enforceable rights associated with it.  Most things deemed a "poor man's patent" provide no protection whatsoever.  Hopefully, you're one of the few exceptions.

Regards.
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
kellie

Email

« Reply #23 on: Jul 26th, 2007, 7:38pm »

If you want to sell your idea, you really need a patent for protection of it. Do what I did. File a provisional patent for about $100. Go the to the USPTO web site and download the application for the PROVISIONAL application. Send drawings if you have any and a breif description of your idea. If you send it express mail and write the label number on the application you will be patent pending once you hand the envelope to the postal clerk. You will receive application confirmation in about 3 weeks. But you don't have to wait on it, because you are patent pending. If you have any questions you can call the USPTO and ask for the Inventors Assistance Office and they will give you all the information you need.
IP Logged
MrSnuggles

« Reply #24 on: Jul 28th, 2007, 8:19pm »

Kellie's suggestion will probably not afford you much protection, if any at all.  A brief description is probably not enough to actually gain a priority date in a subsequent non-provisional patent application, which means that what you filed was a worthless placeholder application.  If you want to file a provisonal application, I would suggest that you (1) enclose enough description to fully enable your idea, (2) enclose figures if necessary to understand your idea, (3) include at least one claim (this is a good idea for foreign rights), (4) make sure that what you disclose does not have any "patent profanity" -- words or phrases that could be used as limitations or admissions, such as "always", "never", "must", "that is why my idea is obvious", etc. (5) if you don't do these things, then prepare a second provisional application with these elements and file it ASAP, then claim priority to both applications by the expiration of the first provisional.

I am a patent attorney that does file provisional applications for clients, usually educational or small entity clients.  The advantage is the much reduced filing fees and the 1-year grace period to decide how to proceed.  However, my provisionals basically look like a non-provisional application (full description, formal figures, 20-50 claims, etc.)  If I file anything with less than that, I follow it up with a second provisional, usually within 6 weeks, which does look like a non-provisional.
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2007, 8:20pm by MrSnuggles » IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »