The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 28th, 2020, 2:16am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Not sure what to do.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Not sure what to do.  (Read 437 times)
Jason Martin
Not sure what to do.
« on: Jul 27th, 2006, 10:49am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I am not sure what to do. I have made a lighted license plate that has never been done the way that I did it. It is unique and I have searched the patents just to make sure. I would like to approach some part manufactures with my idea and have them make it. I would just get a percentage. How do I keep them from stealing the idea? ie: Meet with them and they say no, then 3 months later see it for sale just slightly different than my model.
IP Logged
Wiscagent

Re: Not sure what to do.
« Reply #1 on: Jul 27th, 2006, 11:31am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I would like to approach some part manufactures

If you approach a contract manufacturer with a non-disclosure agreement (NDA) it is likely they will agree to, and abide by, the NDA, and produce your product for some agreed upon price.  At that point you will be out the cost of your products and have a garage filled with product.  Then it would be your problem to sell the product and make a profit.  Of course as soon as your competitor sees your invention is doing well, they could copy it.

I would just get a percentage.

This suggests that you dont just want a manufacturer.  You want someone else to manufacture, market, and distribute your product, and pay you a royalty.  That is a much more difficult challenge.  A company that is set up to do all those tasks would probably be unwilling to sign an NDA.  And even with an NDA, if the company makes and sells something similar, it would be difficult for you to successfully sue them for violating the NDA; and you would have no protection against third party copying.

You may wish to contact a patent agent or patent attorney and look into obtaining patent protection for you invention.

Richard Tanzer
IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »