The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 27th, 2020, 10:26pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Patent Pending vs. Patent
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Patent Pending vs. Patent  (Read 2063 times)
burbankinventor

Patent Pending vs. Patent
« on: Jun 22nd, 2006, 2:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am working on an invention that is patent pending.  I am new to this process, please forgive my novice knowledge on the matter.

In terms of selling this patent, is it better to sell it before we are issued the patent?  We have just discovered a similar patent that was issued before ours; the outcome of the invention is similar, but the technology to achieve the outcome is different.

My concern to try and sell it as patent pending is what company would buy it if there is a possibility of infringement.  Do companies buy patent pending inventions?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

~Juliet
IP Logged
Wiscagent

Re: Patent Pending vs. Patent
« Reply #1 on: Jun 22nd, 2006, 8:11pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

You can try to sell the rights to your invention whether or not you have filed a patent application and whether or not that application has been granted as a patent.

Under some circumstances a company might buy the rights to a patent application and any patents that may issue based on that application.

I have no way of knowing if you are better off trying to sell the rights to your invention sooner or later.  That's business decision you have to make.

Richard Tanzer
IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »