The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 31st, 2020, 11:31am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   How can I make this work
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: How can I make this work  (Read 556 times)
Walter
How can I make this work
« on: Jun 22nd, 2006, 1:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I have no experience with patents. I do have a great idea but I am unsure as to how I can make it work. I have read 3 books on patents thus far, and as of yet have not found the answer to my problem. It may even be that the answer is right in front of me, but I have been too careless in my search. Here is my problem.

My idea is (without divulging to much information) to add a button onto a television, which will make using it a whole lot easier. From what I have learned from the books I've read is that I will need to make a working model in order to successfully market the idea. I'm no idiot, but I am not in the least capable of building a television from scratch in my free time.

The invention does function seperately from the television, and one of my biggest marketing bullets to manufacturers is having it built into the T.V. The invention has also been designed and patented, but as far as I can tell, never been built within a T.V., which is where I hope my idea is novel.   Any suggestions or comments, especially if you've dealt with a similar matter, would be greatly appreciated.
IP Logged
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

Re: How can I make this work
« Reply #1 on: Jun 22nd, 2006, 2:33pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jun 22nd, 2006, 1:15pm, Walter wrote:
From what I have learned from the books I've read is that I will need to make a working model in order to successfully market the idea.

Well, we deal with patents (and other intellectual property) here.  Not so much how to successfully market an idea -- and, yes, we're very aware of the limitations of having only part of the solution of making money from an idea.

A working prototype is definitely not required for a patent, but you have to give an ordinary television maker enough details that they can make and use your invention.  Whether you can do that with your current understanding is impossible to say at this point, so maybe you have some technical homework.  Maybe you don't.

Whether a working prototype is required for marketing your idea is something I'm for which I'm no expert.  But I'd bet that it depends on to whom you're marketing your idea.  Investors tend to get more excited when they see it work, but I don't think that's the only way to get interest in your idea.

on Jun 22nd, 2006, 1:15pm, Walter wrote:
The invention has also been designed and patented, but as far as I can tell, never been built within a T.V., which is where I hope my idea is novel.

Well, if you want a patent, it has to be novel and non-obvious.  The more reasons you can think of why no one put one of those in a TV before, the better off you'll be.  If you can't think of any reasons, there's a greater risk that you may not end up with a patent despite going through the difficult and relatively expensive application process.

Regards.
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
Walter
Re: How can I make this work
« Reply #2 on: Jun 22nd, 2006, 5:06pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Many thanks for your input. I believe that you have answered my question. This will help me out tremendously.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »