The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 30th, 2020, 3:25pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   What is with agents & attorneys
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: What is with agents & attorneys  (Read 3082 times)
Bill Richards

WWW Email

Re: What is with agents & attorneys
« Reply #5 on: Jun 22nd, 2006, 8:23am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am an attorney also, but I believe (Rule 10.57) agents enjoy the same privilege.  At least they can suffer similar consequences for violating a confidence.  Can't cite any case law, however.
IP Logged

William B. Richards, P.E.
The Richards Law Firm
Patents, Trademarks, and Copyrights
614/939-1488
Isaac

« Reply #6 on: Jun 22nd, 2006, 9:45am »

on Jun 22nd, 2006, 8:23am, Bill Richards wrote:
I am an attorney also, but I believe (Rule 10.57) agents enjoy the same privilege.  At least they can suffer similar consequences for violating a confidence.  Can't cite any case law, however.

I think any distinction in the attorney/client privilege between agents and attorneys is beside the point here.  Privilege would only matter if legal means were applied to force you to reveal a confidence.   I don't think that is really the poster's concern.

The main distinction between attorneys and agents with respect to rule 10.57 is that attorneys have to follow an analogous rule promulgated by the state bar.  There can be conflicts with state rules and rule 10.57 with regards to revealing a confidence to prevent a crime, but that's beside the point too.
IP Logged

Isaac
Bill Richards

WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Jun 22nd, 2006, 11:11am »

Jeez!  I don't know, Jeff thougt confidentiality was one of the poster's concerns, and so do I.  Just thought Jeff was making a distinction, for whatever reason, and wanted to note the PTO rules, too.
So sorry if I muddied the waters . . . . I'll certainly be more careful in the future.
IP Logged

William B. Richards, P.E.
The Richards Law Firm
Patents, Trademarks, and Copyrights
614/939-1488
Isaac

« Reply #8 on: Jun 22nd, 2006, 11:14am »

on Jun 22nd, 2006, 11:11am, Bill Richards wrote:
Jeez!  I don't know, Jeff thougt confidentiality was one of the poster's concerns, and so do I.  Just thought Jeff was making a distinction, for whatever reason, and wanted to note the PTO rules, too.
So sorry if I muddied the waters . . . . I'll certainly be more careful in the future.

I think your post was just fine.  10.57 deals with confidentiality just as you suggested.  I meant to add to your post rather than to attack it in any way.  
IP Logged

Isaac
b-todd

« Reply #9 on: Jun 22nd, 2006, 11:41am »

I think this is a great forum, and I  must have gave the wrong impression....the rude agents and attorneys are the ones I have talked with over the phone.    One woman hung up on me yesterday when I asked if she was a patent agent.   Oh-well, live and learn.

This so-called government office,  I called again this morning.  What I found out is that they are an economic development company for this area (KY).  And what they do is help people commercialize their ideas.  They give grants from the state to presume a patent.  Does this sound right?   They also told me that the reason I was refered to them is because the patent attorney charges for any information they give.  I guess it's not like construction work....free estimates.  hehehe  Oh-well, I would have gladly paid for the time,  and any info.

Thanks for the response, I have alot of questions and I will post again.    Belinda  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »