The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 27th, 2020, 10:52pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Invention Promotion Companies
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Invention Promotion Companies  (Read 1828 times)
Wiscagent

Re: Invention Promotion Companies
« Reply #5 on: Jun 23rd, 2006, 4:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

No.  The way the system works is this.  Although it is generally advisable, the inventor is NOT required to do a search.  IF a search is conducted, and if some prior art reference is found that appears to raise question of patentability*, then the inventor is required to provide that reference to the patent office for their consideration.

*“Each individual associated with the filing a prosecution of a patent application has a duty of candor and good faith in dealing with the Office, which includes a duty to disclose to the Office all information known to that individual to be material to patentability… “  37CFR1.56
IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
mike

« Reply #6 on: Jun 23rd, 2006, 6:49pm »

OK, say I conduct a prior art search and do not find any prior art that will discourage me from filing a patent application.  

I file an application and I list the prior art that I think is relevant. It seems that the examiner would verify the prior art references that I listed and also conduct a prior art search so that the USPTO would not issue a patent unless they were certain that there was no prior art.....at least within their abilities. (which should be as good as any).  

Please Advise
IP Logged
Wiscagent

« Reply #7 on: Jun 24th, 2006, 1:09am »

Mike -

That's basically correct.  I would point out that there is always "prior art".  The problem from the applicant's perspective, is prior art that results in a rejection of a claim.

Richard Tanzer
IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
wallflower

« Reply #8 on: Jun 24th, 2006, 1:16am »

Quote:
OK, say I conduct a prior art search and do not find any prior art that will discourage me from filing a patent application.  

I file an application and I list the prior art that I think is relevant. It seems that the examiner would verify the prior art references that I listed and also conduct a prior art search so that the USPTO would not issue a patent unless they were certain that there was no prior art.....at least within their abilities. (which should be as good as any).  

Please Advise

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "verify," but I believe the Examiner should look through your IDS references for relevant prior art.  Issued patents are presumed to be valid.  And that presumption is particularly strong over references that were before the Examiner during prosecution such as those cited in the IDS.
IP Logged
mike

« Reply #9 on: Jun 24th, 2006, 6:17am »

Does the USPTO examiner also conduct a search for relevant prior art ?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »