The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 31st, 2020, 12:20pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Invention Promotion Companies
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Invention Promotion Companies  (Read 1832 times)
mike

Re: Invention Promotion Companies
« Reply #15 on: Jun 24th, 2006, 5:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Thanks Brian,

Go Boilers !!
IP Logged
wallflower

« Reply #16 on: Jun 24th, 2006, 8:24pm »

on Jun 24th, 2006, 2:08pm, Wiscagent wrote:
Wallflower -

I was not as clear as I might have been.  My point is this - If an examiner is examining a patent application and identifies a prior art reference - let's say 102(b) for simplicity - that anticipates the claim, it makes no difference whether or not that reference is a valid patent.  In deed it need not be a patent at all.  It is only required (assuming the date of the reference is appropriate and the document is a patent or "printed publication") that the document be enabling.

That's why the validity of the prior art patent is tangental to it's use as a reference against the present application.

Richard Tanzer

Richard,

I think I see the confusion now. I wasn't referring to the validity of the prior art reference.  I was referring to the OP's patent application if it issues.  The presumption of validity of an issued patent (OP's patent) is particularly strong over references before the examiner during prosecution, such as those cited in the IDS.  So, in answer to the OP's concerns, I think it can be presumed that the Examiner has "verified" the references cited in the IDS.  Even if the Examiner hasn't done so, the presumption of validity over the prior art cited in the IDS is more difficult to overcome.
« Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2006, 8:26pm by wallflower » IP Logged
mike

« Reply #17 on: Jun 25th, 2006, 7:23pm »

Wallflower,

Your reply is helpful.

Thanks
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »