The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 27th, 2020, 10:13pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Invention Promotion Companies
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Invention Promotion Companies  (Read 1827 times)
Ryan Marceau
Invention Promotion Companies
« on: Jun 19th, 2006, 2:07pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Are there any invention promotion companies that are  
legitimate for inventors without much money to throw at the expensive Patent process ? From the research I have done it seems like all of them are fraudulent . What is the best way to start the Patent process if you are new to this and have limited funds ?
IP Logged
Wiscagent

Re: Invention Promotion Companies
« Reply #1 on: Jun 19th, 2006, 2:58pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

You should carefully consider whether or not you actually need patent protection.  In some cases a small company is better off NOT going to the time, effort and expense of obtaining a patent.  In other situations a patent is a critical part of the business plan.

I suggest that you carefully weigh the advantages and disadvantages of applying for a patent.  If you decide that going the patent route is right for you, an independent patent agent can often deliver a well written application at lower cost than a patent attorney.  Also by doing the prior search yourself you may save some money - or find that your invention is not patentable.
IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
RMissimer

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 22nd, 2006, 7:42am »

WiscAgent is right.  I have found that inventors doing their own search is a little risky, so I generally suggest they do the drawings instead.  But I agree that we should push back on the inventor as much as we can to save them money.

Why I feel searches would be risky is that I have had a few applicants that said they had found no art, that we found art "on point" and sometimes better than their invention.  If I had depended on their findings, they would have wasted the money associated with drafting the specification and application.  Searches should be $400-600, at least they are with us.  The drafting is far greater.

Agreed that drawings are not as much as the search can be,  but it is far more detailed,  and the inventor usually has a better grip on what needs to be included.  So, it is a matter of getting them use to the drawings rules and format.  I have found that to be a little easier to do.

Very good point though, WiscAgent.
IP Logged

RS Missimer
Patents Penned, Inc.
PO Box 486
Butler, WI 53007-0486
(262) 565-8200
Isaac

« Reply #3 on: Jun 22nd, 2006, 8:02am »

on Jun 22nd, 2006, 7:42am, RMissimer wrote:
WiscAgent is right.  I have found that inventors doing their own search is a little risky, so I generally suggest they do the drawings instead.  But I agree that we should push back on the inventor as much as we can to save them money.

When my relatives talk to me about their inventions, usually we at least discuss invention promotion companies and resources for conducting an initial search.   In particular I normally recommend doing some internet searching as well as visiting the local patent and trademark depository library.    Those searches are obviously far from complete, but when you are advising people for whom several hundred dollars is a lot of money, it makes sense to show them how to avoid spending professional searching fees when a cursory search will probably find something relevant.  

IP Logged

Isaac
mike

« Reply #4 on: Jun 23rd, 2006, 3:01pm »

Does the USPTO verify your prior art search as part of the patent application review process ?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »