The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 23rd, 2020, 2:08am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Inexpensive ways to search for Patents
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Inexpensive ways to search for Patents  (Read 1800 times)
Isaac

Re: Inexpensive ways to search for Patents
« Reply #5 on: Jun 21st, 2006, 11:38am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

There is no such thing as a perfectly complete search.  Instead the depth of search is always limited by the expense of the resources required to search.    

In the event money on the order of a billion dollars is at stake, perhaps it makes sense to look to see if a recent thesis written in Russian, and indexed only locally might contain some relevant information even if that means flying a team of lawyers and scientists out to Siberia in mid winter.   Maybe in most other situations, it does not make sense to do so.
IP Logged

Isaac
CriterionD

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Jun 21st, 2006, 1:40pm »

on Jun 21st, 2006, 11:17am, sdahd83 wrote:
what is the point of paying someone if they arent going to give you a full search, and it basically ends up being useless and a waste of money, since your invention might already exist but they only did a really basic search based on the amount of money you gave them and didnt find your invention in their basic search.  

Well, the main point is that a really basic search is better than no search at all, assuming that a respectable (though basic) amount of effort is made on the search firm's end.  Second, if they do find your idea or something close, and thats all you are interested in finding, you may save some money, assuming you pay less for the basic search.  

Otherwise, Isaac's response is pretty much right on.

A good patent search, by market standards, is reasonably 'complete.'  I'll also add that the quality of the search firm is just as important as what the search technically covers.

IP Logged

www.criteriondynamics.com
S

« Reply #7 on: Jun 21st, 2006, 9:40pm »

on Jun 21st, 2006, 1:40pm, CriterionD wrote:

Well, the main point is that a really basic search is better than no search at all, assuming that a respectable (though basic) amount of effort is made on the search firm's end.  Second, if they do find your idea or something close, and thats all you are interested in finding, you may save some money, assuming you pay less for the basic search.  

Otherwise, Isaac's response is pretty much right on.

A good patent search, by market standards, is reasonably 'complete.'  I'll also add that the quality of the search firm is just as important as what the search technically covers.

i visited your website...no way can i afford the fees.    
i cant really afford a search, i have searched on my own but i do prefer to get help from a professional person or firm.  
i really need someone to do some pro bono work.  or maybe i can pay in payments if necessary.
IP Logged
CriterionD

WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Jun 22nd, 2006, 2:42pm »

on Jun 21st, 2006, 9:40pm, sdahd83 wrote:

i really need someone to do some pro bono work.  

Well, you could try going to a company such as the 'Big Idea Group'

http://www.bigideagroup.net

I can't say I am very familiar with their practices
IP Logged

www.criteriondynamics.com
S

« Reply #9 on: Jun 22nd, 2006, 10:27pm »

on Jun 22nd, 2006, 2:42pm, CriterionD wrote:

Well, you could try going to a company such as the 'Big Idea Group'

http://www.bigideagroup.net

I can't say I am very familiar with their practices

thanks, but it looks like one must have a patent first. i just quickly glanced and came across the following from their site:

"To submit an idea to BIG, the Inventor must have full ownership of the Inventor’s New Product Idea. If there is more than one inventor of the New Product Idea, each inventor must read and sign this Agreement and all references to "Inventor" or "you" in this Agreement will be deemed to refer to such inventors, collectively. Accordingly, the Inventor hereby confirms that: (1) the Inventor is the first and only inventor and creator of the Inventor’s New Product Idea; (2) the Inventor owns all rights to the Inventor’s New Product Idea; (3) the Inventor has not transferred or licensed such rights (or any interest therein) to anyone else; and (4) to the best of Inventor’s knowledge, the Inventor’s New Product Idea does not violate the intellectual property or other rights of any third party."
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »