The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 30th, 2020, 3:53pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Basics in patent search..
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Basics in patent search..  (Read 2027 times)
Xdim

Re: Basics in patent search..
« Reply #5 on: Jun 8th, 2006, 9:56am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Thanks for the good discussion.

I am aware of a number of resources out there for patent search. Some are free while others are not.  

My question here is - What is/are offered in the "not-free" resources that the free ones don't have? - is it some better searching tools, or is it some more complete database? Another way to put it - can one do an equally good/exhaustive/thorough search using the USPTO website alone without other "not-free" resources? (what about foreign search?)
IP Logged
CriterionD

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Jun 8th, 2006, 10:43am »

on Jun 8th, 2006, 9:56am, Xdim wrote:
My question here is - What is/are offered in the "not-free" resources that the free ones don't have? - is it some better searching tools, or is it some more complete database?

Foreign patent databases are made available for search on the pay sites (Delphion/Micropatent at least).  Now these are databases that are generally available on the web freely as well (at least the most meaningful ones), but searching in one spot is easier.  freepatentsonline.com does allow some foreign patent searching.

The pay sites also also give you better search tools, make it easier for you to browse through the search results, and extract information from the results.  (As a disclaimer, I have never used Micropatent)

Anyways you can use free resources to do an equally exhaustive search, generally, or at the very least, close.  It just isn't as efficient - it can take longer.  But if you are a beginner and don't plan on making a career or hobby out of patent searching, its very possible that the pay sites are not worth the money, in part just because you'll only get so much out of them until you are more familiar with them anyway.  

One last note, as far as US patent applications are concerned, in my opinion strict classification searches should be given less weight.  This is just because many published applications are more likely to be classified incorrectly, or at least inconsistently, compared with issued patents.  
« Last Edit: Jun 8th, 2006, 10:51am by CriterionD » IP Logged

www.criteriondynamics.com
Bill Richards

WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Jun 8th, 2006, 1:46pm »

I have used both Delphion and Micropatent and find Delphion easier to use with better technical support.  System-wise, Delphion seemed to be more stable.
« Last Edit: Jun 8th, 2006, 1:47pm by Bill Richards » IP Logged

William B. Richards, P.E.
The Richards Law Firm
Patents, Trademarks, and Copyrights
614/939-1488
franlorin

taxonomist-in- training

WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 5th, 2007, 1:56pm »

on Jun 7th, 2006, 7:40am, Xdim wrote:
I like the "foundation to a house" analogy to the importance of the initial strategic approach in patent application to its long term effectiveness as a legal document. I understand a "good search" may be the foundation of the foundation.

My question is - How to do a good search? - What are all the "stones need to be turned"?

I am new to this forum, so if my question(s) has been asked/discussed before please kindly point me to the link. Thanks.

it looks like I missed a good discussion on this topic, doing patent searches and writing a patent application, and supporting prosecution - sorry I couldn't post then

Xdim: you might want to visit: siberkhem.com for information about patent searching and application writing

take care, Fran Lorin
IP Logged

Fran Lorin
www.siberkhem.com
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »