The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 24th, 2020, 10:38pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Is the method of eBay auction or Amazon patented ?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Is the method of eBay auction or Amazon patented ?  (Read 576 times)
Inventor_SA

Is the method of eBay auction or Amazon patented ?
« on: Jun 1st, 2006, 3:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Cool

Thank you for this useful website and helpful information. I'm really happy to be a registered user here.
 Wink

Suppose that I invented new method of e shopping, let's say smart way of e commerce, just as eBay and Amazon were smart and unique in its time, my own method is.  
My Question is, were they copyrighted or patented?  
My method is an advanced shopping; it is highly profitable, useful and flexible. It can be applied by any programming language.
I have been thinking of it for more than 2 months. I wrote a clear description, diagrams and goals for it, every detail that helps to clarify the idea. I searched Wipo and UPO databases many times (2 weeks or more) and in many  ways and I did not find my specific idea with its dimensions and mature.  
They were some times close  to some extent but no one is complete and full as I thought, prepared and diagramed.  

Can my smart e shopping method be copyrighted or patented? How can I patent or copy right it?

I'm not good at writing in English and I have no financial abitity to buy for trans.  , any helpfull advice?
I'm thinking of having my ambessy  support, do they provide legal translator  for my to copyright or patent in US?

Thanks in advance, your information and help , would not be wasted , just write any thing that might help.

May  GOD Guide us all to the right path, wish you best luck.

Smiley

« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2006, 3:55pm by Inventor_SA » IP Logged
Wiscagent

Re: Is the method of eBay auction or Amazon patent
« Reply #1 on: Jun 1st, 2006, 5:30pm »

There are many patents related to electronic commerce.  Class 705, DATA PROCESSING: FINANCIAL, BUSINESS PRACTICE, MANAGEMENT, OR COST/PRICE DETERMINATION, lists many of them.  So yes, in general a “smart e shopping method” can be patented.  Whether your particular invention is patentable, I have no way of knowing.

You wrote that your invention “can be applied by any programming language.”  That is true of may electronic commerce-related patents.  US2005/0273416, “Method and system for conducting an auction,” is an example of a patent application for a business method that would probably be used on the internet, but could be used in a traditional face-to-face auction.  It does not require the use of a computer at all.

Unfortunately, a well written patent application is a complex legal document.  Given that you have neither funds nor strong English writing skills, it will be difficult for you to apply for a patent.  BUT, a patent should not be necessary.  In your circumstances you are probably better off using your scarce resources to start up your business without a patent.

May you carry a good map, compass, and GPS to guide you on the right path.
IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

« Reply #2 on: Jun 1st, 2006, 9:54pm »

I'm pretty sure methods generally aren't copyrightable.  So, patents are pretty much it as far as IP goes.

And, looking in patent databases isn't enough to determine whether you can get a patent on your idea.  You want to search all published information, not just patents.  And, that might not be enough if someone is using it but doesn't really publish how it works.  In short, you can never be absolutely sure you'll get a patent when you apply.  There will always be risk of failure.

Good luck.
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
Inventor_SA

« Reply #3 on: Jun 4th, 2006, 3:51pm »

There are many patents related to electronic commerce.  Class 705, DATA  
PROCESSING: FINANCIAL, BUSINESS PRACTICE, MANAGEMENT, OR COST/PRICE DETERMINATION, lists many of them.  So yes, in general a “smart e shopping method” can be patented

Thank you for you important and helpful information, you did GREAT JOB WITH ME.
I've asked a lawyer and he gave some great ideas, too
He told me that his office can apply for me in Dubai, and he advised me to buy for his legal help  which costs more than 15000 USD only!
(Is he is thinking of his portion of the project)?
I'm thinking of doing this option me myself, by this way  I will over come 3 problem in the same time,1- filling the application would be in Arabic Not English, 2- I will verify  that my invention is patentable, 3- I will grant my priority.

Honestly I have written the invention twice, the second is for a business plan.
It does not need much money, only website and good management, the website need a good designing company, a designing company may steel the project if the have a look on it. So I stopped here. And if I looked for financial support, I will have the same.
I was having a financial invention; I gave it to a company who's trustworthy in some recommendations, a paid 15000 USD for its executive manger to do copyright and legal issue and run the project, do you know what happened?
I lost my money and my project...there was only Denial.
I don't know who's on earth worth our trust! I did not know that I have to sign legal agreement! And the best discovery about him is his using of some point and ideas in his press conference and his advanced projects...
I gave up tracing him. He is Master of business Administration and previous worker of WIPO.
So it is better for me to apply for patent in all means that I have, I will try to search better ways.

I may have some money (my last investment in stock market) but I don’t know how to patent securely.
I'll Cary all what you said, en sha'allah (If God wants)

Thanks a lot; I wished I knew you face to face.

By the way, can I copy right it then ask for translation to fill the application?
 Wink

I LOVE You ALL
IP Logged
Inventor_SA

« Reply #4 on: Jun 4th, 2006, 4:04pm »

on Jun 1st, 2006, 9:54pm, JimIvey wrote:
I'm pretty sure methods generally aren't copyrightable.  So, patents are pretty much it as far as IP goes.

And, looking in patent databases isn't enough to determine whether you can get a patent on your idea.  You want to search all published information, not just patents.  And, that might not be enough if someone is using it but doesn't really publish how it works.  In short, you can never be absolutely sure you'll get a patent when you apply.  There will always be risk of failure.

Good luck.

Thanks for your advice; I will determent my invention once I apply for patent.

I wish you a GOOD LUCK, Luck YOU LOVE it,  
A love that you dreamed of,
A dream that you plan for,
A plan that you worked for,
A work that you enjoy,
A Joy that you never experienced before,  
An Experience that you wish to be repeated thousand times.
Thank you  

Cool Grin Wink Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »