The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 24th, 2020, 10:12pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Business method patent lawyer
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Business method patent lawyer  (Read 1613 times)
Reenaa C
Business method patent lawyer
« on: May 18th, 2006, 11:48am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I am looking for a business method patent lawyer (services), in NJ. Is that a specialty area, or will any patent lawyer will undertake such a project? Can you also please refer good sources of reliable patent lawyers, or an alternative way of contacting the righgt lawyer for tha said purpose? What is a reasonable fees one can expect for the entire process?

Many thanks
Reenaa
IP Logged
GRS Research

Re: Business method patent lawyer
« Reply #1 on: May 18th, 2006, 1:57pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi Reenaa,

I am not an attorney, nor do I play one on TV, but I work with  them all day. I also work a lot with business method patents and would suggest you find an attorney with BMP experience.

Re. cost, I often hear a range of between $10K and $15K for the drafting and prosecution. Less of course if all you want is the drafting and filing.  Also, your invention's technology and scope will affect the cost.

Are you able to use an attorney outside of NJ, say NY or CT, I have referrals to great ones there.

Norm
IP Logged

Norm Gilman
Gilman Research Services, LLC
www.gilmanresearch.com
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

« Reply #2 on: May 18th, 2006, 2:31pm »

I think Norm gave a good answer, although I'm a bit miffed that he didn't mention California as a location of one or more good practitioners for your particular technology.   Wink

I'd just add that geographic proximity is not at all required for effective representation.  I've received inquiries from all over the world (e.g., New Zealand, Ireland, Singapore, just to name a few), and I've effectively represented people from all over -- oftem without ever meeting face-to-face.  However, if you prefer the face-to-face handshake, there's nothing wrong with that.  

On the other hand, you're much more likely to find a practitioner with meaningful experience in your technology space in areas known for information-based technology, such as the Silicon Valley here in California and perhaps Austin, TX and maybe in parts of Massachussets.  I'm not aware of a significant information-based economy in NJ -- not that it doesn't exist, just that I'm not familiar with any.

Here's my little FAQ on "business method" patents.
http://www.iveylaw.com/index.php?option=faq&task=viewfaq&artid=3 &Itemid=

Regards.
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
slowsupratt

« Reply #3 on: May 18th, 2006, 5:18pm »

Hey, I need a good practitioner in Socal to draft and file my patent. Do either of you know of any?
IP Logged
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

« Reply #4 on: May 19th, 2006, 12:08am »

Nope.  Sorry.  If geography is your primary concern, I can't help.

Regards.
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »