The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 20th, 2020, 11:07am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Genealogy Data Online
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Genealogy Data Online  (Read 471 times)
fazli

Life, we make it what it is!

WWW Email

Genealogy Data Online
« on: May 1st, 2006, 2:51am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I manage the Sri Lanka Genealogy Website at http://www.rootsweb.com/~lkawgw which is sponsored by Rootsweb for all nations.

My work, which is voluntary, involves researching family tree data of Sri Lankan communities and having bthem uploaded on to the genealogy section of the website.

This family information contains names of people, their dates of birth, marriage, baptism (if applicable), death, and other significant information related to proffesions, achievements, controbutions to society etc.

On some occasions I have had requests from some members of these families to have their data removed for their own personal reasons.

I have the following questions:-

1. Is genealogy data, internationally, considered to be a component of intellectual property that is owned by anyone in particular or is it public domain information that can be used on websites, freely?

2. If the information pertaining to a living individual is owned by that individual then does he or she have the right to request for its removal from a website where it is displayed as part of a olarger family tree?

3. Can a family member request the removal of information related to a family member?

4. Does Genealogy data related to persons who have passed away belong to anyone?

5. Who has rights of ownership over genealogy data?
IP Logged

fazli
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »