The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 31st, 2020, 12:43pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   using autodesk
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: using autodesk  (Read 1184 times)
firstflight

using autodesk
« on: Sep 25th, 2005, 2:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I was wondering,,,I have my idea on autodesk,,,can I use it for my patent instead of a drawing or do I need them both?
IP Logged
Wiscagent

Re: using autodesk
« Reply #1 on: Sep 25th, 2005, 4:17pm »

firstflight -  

You wrote "I have my idea on autodesk."

I assume you mean that you have drawings depicting certain embodiments of your invention in electronic format.  If you can print out the drawings and they meet with the patent office requirements, then sure, you can use those drawings as PART of a patent application.

In a utility patent application the purpose of the drawings is to support the written description and claims of the patent.  The drawings can not substitute for a written description or claims.

Richard Tanzer
IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
firstflight

Re: using autodesk inventor
« Reply #2 on: Sep 26th, 2005, 1:07pm »

Thanks for your reply Richard. I was needing this information as I am at the step of either drawing or using my autodesk inventor. You did mention, if they met the patent office requirments. May I ask where I may find these requirments? You can now tell, I am new at this. Thanks for all your help.

I must add: This is the best site I have seen on the web.  You guys and gals are a great help for us newbies.
IP Logged
Wiscagent

« Reply #3 on: Sep 26th, 2005, 1:46pm »

If you are applying for a United States patent, there are several sources of information on the patent office (USPTO) web site.
  http://www.uspto.gov/ebc/efs/faq/figures.htm discusses how to submit drawings in electronic form.
  http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac/utility/utility.htm#draw summarizes the requirements for drawings.
  37 CFR sections 1.81, 1.83, 1.84 & 1.85 presents the actual rules for drawings, it can be found at http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac/mpep/consolidated_rules.pdf .

There are also books available about how to apply for a patent that provide information on patent drawings.

I’ll repeat myself, but keep in mind that while drawings are an important part of many patent applications, they are only a part.  A well written specification ending with carefully drafted claims is essential to obtain a valuable patent.

Best of luck,

Richard Tanzer
IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
Isaac

« Reply #4 on: Sep 26th, 2005, 2:13pm »

Which end of this thing do the bullets go in?

Mr. Firstflight,

Please do not take my remarks as an attempt to solicit business, but your questions suggest an unfamiliarity with what you are doing that may result in your not knowing to ask the really important questions.

I would recommend that in addition to following the advice that Mr. Tanzer gave you that you take a look at some issued patents that are in the same field as your invention to get a feel for what a patent document might contain.

I don't know what in what form your invention is documented on autodesk, but the short answer is that any method of generating drawings that results in compliance with the PTO requirements will work.    

In addition to the documents suggested by Mr. Tanzer let me suggest a book called "Guide for the Preparation of Patent Drawings".  While you can purchase this book on Amazon, it is a government publication and I've had success in the past at locating downloadable copies via google.
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2005, 2:14pm by Isaac » IP Logged

Isaac
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »