The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 23rd, 2020, 1:04am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Do IP Attorneys/Agents make good Inventors?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Do IP Attorneys/Agents make good Inventors?  (Read 1325 times)
Bill Guess

pro se .....all the way

WWW Email

Re: Do IP Attorneys/Agents make good Inventors?
« Reply #5 on: Dec 7th, 2005, 10:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Frank Weyer (patent lawyer) did .

U.S. 5,975,728

Frank Weyer invents a changeable multi color dash panel.  Quite simiple.  Three color led's in which a single knob changes the juice to the led's and create a variety of colors (I don't get it, actually).  He sends out letters to the majors.  No response.  Then after his patent expired for non payment of maintenance fees he notices Ford selling his idea on the 2005 Mustangs  [My Color (r)].  He hurriedly patches up his patent, then cranks out a complaint and mosies on down to the nearest federal district and files it.  (He knew not to send the C&D letter)   Ford trots out some lame art in their answer, but ultimately settles after the inventor filed for an injunction.  Why?  Because Weyer can't bleed like they can.  Why would Ford pay two million to litigate when that can pay him a royalty (4 dollars a car).  Now had Weyer been an independent inventor and had to hire a lawyer to litigate they would, in my opinion, not have settled.  Because then everyone has to bleed, and that's a lot more fair.  

Bill
« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2005, 12:20pm by Bill Guess » IP Logged
Bill Guess

pro se .....all the way

WWW Email

Re: Do IP Attorneys/Agents make good Inventors?
« Reply #6 on: Dec 7th, 2005, 10:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My two favorite inventors are Percy Spencer and Chester Carlson (patent lawyer).

Chester Carlson had been a patent draftsman who got tired of erasing and redrawing.  He dreamed up a device using charged mold spores, a and a feather duster and a bright light amongst other things to make a dry copy.  He patented this device and tried to sell it to everyone.  Kodak, IMB, G.E. RCA, the Army ...everybody.  IMB though that the entire marked to be 50,000 devices.  Kodak said it would be too expensive to build.  I can just hear the rap from Kodak:  "Hey Chester do you the going rate for secretaries?"

Chester Carlson ultimately sold two thirds of his patent to investors, the Battelle Development Corporation who built a prototype and ultimately sold the idea to a paper manufacturer... Haloid Company.  This company had a plan.  They beat Kodak at their own game, they turned a "negative into a positive" and gave the machines away with a charge per use.  They had a license to print money and ultimately changed their name to Xerox (a made up word reminiscent of Kodak).

Carlson made 150 million with his third.  Not too shabby.  He tried to give all his money away but died after disposing of 100 million.

Bill
« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2005, 12:19pm by Bill Guess » IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »