The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 23rd, 2020, 1:52am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Bare Bones Cost
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Bare Bones Cost  (Read 2599 times)
Isaac

Re: Bare Bones Cost
« Reply #10 on: Sep 11th, 2005, 8:03am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Real cheap now that I see I can work from an on-line version of Gray's.
BYOA.
IP Logged

Isaac
TataBoxInhibitor

« Reply #11 on: Sep 16th, 2005, 11:12am »

I am not so sure I understood the publication comment.   An application is published 18 months after filing.  You can opt out from publication before 18 months if you declare that you are not filing abroad.   What did I miss?
IP Logged
Wiscagent

« Reply #12 on: Sep 16th, 2005, 11:41am »

Steve Nielsen wrote that if you opt out of publishing your patent application you can save the $300 publication fee.  I am confused on whether the $300 fee is for publication of the application or publication of the granted patent.

- If you request that the application be published prior to 18 months, you have to pay the $300 up front; that suggests that the fee is for publishing the application.  

- On the other hand, if the application publishes after the usual 18 months, and then sometime later you abandon the application,  Shockedyou avoid paying the $300 even though the application already published.  This suggests that the $300 is for publishing the granted patent, in which case opting out of having the application published saves nothing.

Perplexed in Wisconsin
 Shocked
IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
mike

« Reply #13 on: Sep 16th, 2005, 2:43pm »

Hi,

With regards to when the publication fee must be paid, I am not certain.  

I do however remember that my patent was granted before the 18 months and for this reason the USPTO reimbursed to me the $300.00 publication fee.

Regards,  Mike

IP Logged
mike

« Reply #14 on: Sep 16th, 2005, 2:56pm »

Hi Again,

It is my understanding that the "publication fee" is for publishing your patent application. The USPTO has an established time frame (18 months) after submittal by which they are required to have published your application.  

I have been advised that it is unusual that a patent is granted before the application is published. ... but it did occur in my case.

Mike

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »