The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 31st, 2020, 11:57am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Photographs...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Photographs...  (Read 567 times)
parkinfart

Photographs...
« on: Sep 2nd, 2005, 10:00am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Good day.  this is my first time on one of these sites...
I have been searching everywhere for information about who has the rights to a photograph that I take with my digital camera.
I want to start a card company and use photos I have taken of people and pets over the years, and I don't know if I have to ask people for permission to "make money off of a picture of them" that I took.... Huh
Also, if they do have a say with what happens with their picture etc, do I have to provide some kind of form for them to agree to allow me to use the photo? And can this be something I make up and we both sign, or is there a specific legal document with regards to this?
(It is understood that I would be using the photo's for profit and there would be no degrading, embarrassing or the like, type of pictures/conotations).
Can anyone help me out?
IP Logged
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

Re: Photographs...
« Reply #1 on: Sep 5th, 2005, 11:16am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

That question would be better asked on the Copyright forum.  Technically, it's not a copyright question but is fairly closely related to copyright.  

My very rough understanding of your issue is that it's best to get a signed "release" from the subjects of your photos but that it's not always necessary.  As far as ownership goes, I understand that you own the photos but that private individuals might be able to prevent you from commercializing their images.

Again, the people hanging out in the Copyright forum can be of more help.

Regards.
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »