The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 23rd, 2020, 2:02am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Lawyers...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Lawyers...  (Read 601 times)
Chris D Black
Lawyers...
« on: Jun 30th, 2005, 1:32am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

After reading your advice about my questions I am still a bit confused what I should do so I think I should advise a lawyer.  

I'm looking for advice on what type and how I should go about looking for a Good lawyer for my product. Its technology based something that maybe sony would be interested in.  You also mentioned something about "trade secrets" instead of patents is there a way a certain lawyer could tell me which one to use. Also how does the money situation work with the lawyers do any work on "commission based"? and whats recomended and whats not? Where can I find one that knows his stuff ?

Im in New jersey currently if anyone knows someone good around.

Any information is great thanks.
IP Logged
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

Re: Lawyers...
« Reply #1 on: Jul 6th, 2005, 11:54am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Re trade secrets and commission-based patent services, I've touched on those in my FAQ for the person with the next "million-dollar idea."  Since a million dollars won't even by you a house in the SF Bay Area, perhaps I should call it the next "billion-dollar idea....."

http://www.isrlaw.com/inventorFAQ.html#1

Re how to pick a good lawyer:  It's the same as picking any provider of professional services -- much like picking a dentist.  You ask around with people you trust and who seem to have some insight you don't.  

In addition, a handfull of people who seem to know their stuff post here nearly every day.  Go read the archives and see whose posts speak to you.

Re NJ:  It's not hard to represent people from far away.  I have clients I deal with directly in Singapore and Europe.  Some of my clients I've never met face-to-face.  While it's helpful to meet face-to-face, it's by no means necessary.

I hope that helps.
« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2005, 9:53pm by JimIvey » IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
JSonnabend

Email

Re: Lawyers...
« Reply #2 on: Jul 6th, 2005, 3:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Chris -

Jim is right about representation-at-a-distance.  In the world of IP, it's not critical that you ever meet your attorney face-to-face.  I represent clients from around the country in my solo practice, and did so while at the big NY firms as well.

That said, if your attorney might also represent you in enforcement actions in your home venue, then a local attorney may have some advantages.

- Jeff
IP Logged

SonnabendLaw
Intellectual Property and Technology Law
Brooklyn, USA
718-832-8810
JSonnabend@SonnabendLaw.com
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »