The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 27th, 2020, 11:54pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   outsourcing a software idea. Any FORMS I can use?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: outsourcing a software idea. Any FORMS I can use?  (Read 599 times)
jons

outsourcing a software idea. Any FORMS I can use?
« on: Jun 29th, 2005, 10:31am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Please direct me to some good "legal forms" that I can use, specifically for software related ideas, so that I can have my guy sign it before he begins.  

I have a software idea that I'm outsourcing to a 3rd party to write from scratch and bring to fruition in a month. I'm more than capable of writing it myself but figured it'll be a much more efficient use of my time/money to outsource this part of the job to someone else.

He agreed both verbally and over email when I told him upfront that the software product and the idea, in all its entirety, will be my property/intellectual property from beginning stage to completion and that he will have no claims on it. Now I need to get it in writing but the last thing I want is to use some cheasy unprofessional jibberish that I slapped together in MS Word...
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2005, 10:42am by jons » IP Logged
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

Re: outsourcing a software idea. Any FORMS I can u
« Reply #1 on: Jun 29th, 2005, 12:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm not aware of any forms.  The relationship between business and hired software engineer is generally fairly unique to the circumstances.  Although I suspect there are fairly standard provisions in such contracts that could be placed into a form.

The topic of such contracts is a bit outside the topic of patents.  Perhaps a better forum is this one:
http://www.intelproplaw.com/Forum/Forum.cgi?board=licensing

However, I think the same people who watch that topic also watch this topic.

Regards.
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
kc
Re: outsourcing a software idea. Any FORMS I can u
« Reply #2 on: Jun 30th, 2005, 12:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

What you are looking for is a Non-disclosure Agreement and/or Confidentiality Agreement as well as some sort of agreement to address the IP issues.

You have to be careful with contractors.  If the contractor makes an inventive contribution to your software product, he will be considered an inventor and, as such, you may want to prepare in advance some assignment agreements and transfer documents for the contractor to execute.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »