The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 28th, 2020, 1:55am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   ok where do I start?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: ok where do I start?  (Read 3053 times)
marwan
Re: ok where do I start?
« Reply #5 on: Jun 23rd, 2005, 8:41am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

what about this site  

http://www.file-reg.com/en/

any one can advice about it?

thank u

IP Logged
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

« Reply #6 on: Jun 28th, 2005, 1:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've looked at that very briefly, not having heard of it before you pointed it out here.

It looks like the electronic equivalent to mailing your idea to yourself (for the postmark as proof of date of conception of your idea).  As for providing any kind of intellectual property rights -- and therefore any kind of IP protection -- it's almost entirely useless.

Proving a date at which you thought of something -- without more, much much more -- does absolutely nothing for you, well almost absolutely nothing.

As I've posted here before, there is no such thing as a "poor man's patent" or a shortcut to effective and valuable protection for you ideas.  If there were, everyone would use them.

Regards.
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
franlorin

taxonomist-in- training

WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 3rd, 2005, 11:18am »

on May 22nd, 2005, 9:51pm, sarahintoronto wrote:

2. I would like to hire a lawyer to do a proper patent search so should I hae it designed before then?

why would you hire a lawyer to do a "proper" patent search? - you can either perform the search yourself, or hire a patent search professional - no "lawyer" is needed for this very important task

Fran Lorin www.patent.0catch.com
IP Logged

Fran Lorin
www.siberkhem.com
JSonnabend

Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 5th, 2005, 8:37am »

Fran, putting aside the fact that you're responding to a post six months after it was made, your self serving statements are a bit misleading.  

While a trained patent searcher certainly can provide competent patent search services -- many patent attorneys use such searchers -- analyzing the results requires more than patent searcher services.  That's patent attorney work, and an inventor would be penny wise and pound foolish to run a search with a patent searcher without having a qualified patent attorney counsel him or her on the results.

- Jeff
IP Logged

SonnabendLaw
Intellectual Property and Technology Law
Brooklyn, USA
718-832-8810
JSonnabend@SonnabendLaw.com
franlorin

taxonomist-in- training

WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 5th, 2005, 9:33am »

on Dec 5th, 2005, 8:37am, JSonnabend wrote:
Fran, putting aside the fact that you're responding to a post six months after it was made, your self serving statements are a bit misleading.  

While a trained patent searcher certainly can provide competent patent search services -- many patent attorneys use such searchers -- analyzing the results requires more than patent searcher services.  That's patent attorney work, and an inventor would be penny wise and pound foolish to run a search with a patent searcher without having a qualified patent attorney counsel him or her on the results.

- Jeff

Jeff:

yes, it may seem that my remarks are self-serving, but I am posting information based on my experience, which includes nearly 11 years as a patent examiner and then nearly 5 years as a contract searcher, for the benefit of all  readers of my postings, free of charge

I do not argue that a patent attorney is invaluble in making important decisions regarding patent search results, and even deciding how to go about determining whether a patent search was properly performed at all! -  as a patent searcher, I do not offer opinions regarding patents in any way - however, I do believe that a qualified patent searcher, i.e., one who is proficient at navigating the patent databases, will generally likely be far more efficient than a patent attorney at locating "relevant prior art", especially since attorneys are more often busy with other matters - I would like to compare the "patent attorney-patent searcher" relationship as somewhat analogous to the "doctor-technician" relationship, in which the "technician" for the attorney can be a "patent searcher" - saying that an applicant must always see a patent attorney to interpret patent search results is almost like saying that a diabetic must always go to a doctor to check their glucose levels

as far as responding to this post six months after the OP, it seems to me that the question is still very relevant and needed an additional response - also, I just joined this forum only about a month ago

one final word about "serving my needs", I do not rely on this forum for my business - however, I do think that patent searching is a very important  part of the patenting process, both prior to filing an application (by the applicant), as well as during the prosecution (by the patent examiner) - clearance, infringement and validity questions can also be addressed with a patent search

but I, myself, cannot perform searches for everyone who wants/needs a search, so I am not offering to provide such capabilities, and the USPTO itself even conducts thousands of searches daily! - I am not sure there is a patent search firm anywhere that could match that amount of searching! - that is not my object in responding to these postings

rather, I want to help others be able to navigate patent databases themselves efficiently and rapidly - my website that I give in my postings may not be very professional-looking at this time, but I think it does have some very useful content for many of the posters in this forum that I have seen - I am continuousy building that site during my "free time" (using GIMP and html that I am learning online)

hopefully you will notice my continued EMPHASIS on the available classification systems as the all-important organizational framework for  the retrieval of these kinds of technical and historic documents efficiently and quickly  - all of this information I provide is free of charge, just as many of the patent databases are! -  my information explains the patent search process in a way that is different from what is available elsewhere [it may even be clearer or better in some way! Smiley] - I am even paying a nominal fee to remove those annoying pop-ups from my website, that was previously free to me as well!

take care

Fran Lorin www.patent.0catch.com
« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2005, 4:47am by franlorin » IP Logged

Fran Lorin
www.siberkhem.com
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »