The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 26th, 2020, 8:04pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Re: Lamelson "Invents A Patent"... Stran
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Re: Lamelson "Invents A Patent"... Stran  (Read 1909 times)
eric stasik

director, patent08

WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 23rd, 2005, 9:49am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Mar 23rd, 2005, 8:47am, JSonnabend wrote:
In my (not so humble) opinion, anyone who reveres Lemelson doesn't really understand what he did, or how it ended up costing the ordinary consumer.

- Jeff

well, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it is a bit unfair i think to dismiss my views as based on ignorance. i think my post illustrated that i know something about what he did.  

frankly not every inventor is a sympathetic genius, but you have to give credit where credit is due. "revere" is another thing altogether, but i do give him his propers.  

as a patent attorney, he zealously represented his client (himself) to a level that most patent attorneys will never achieve. there's no question about this. if it was all crap, then he pretty much made fools of the entire US patent community for 3 decades. while this might not actually be that hard, i don't think this was the case.  

i maintain that his business model, while pernicious to many, provides just the sort of assurance investors are looking for and encourages investment in risky ideas and kooky inventors.  

and his success provides the inspiration for many inventors to pursue their "science fiction" ideas.  

you might see that as a cost to consumers, but i see it as an obscure benefit to society.  

like i said, mine may be a minority view, but then again as oscar wilde said "whenever people agree with me i always feel i must be wrong."

cheers,
IP Logged

eric stasik
director

http://www.patent08.com

patent08
patent engineering,
business development,
and licensing services
postbox 24203
104 51 stockholm
sweden
JSonnabend

Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 24th, 2005, 9:12am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Eric -

Sorry, that comment wasn't meant to be directed at you, although I guess you might reasonably have taken it as such.

Lemelson invented nothing, really.  He used the patent system to essentially blackmail corporate America.  What's worse, his file wrappers are rife with inequitable conduct in the form of re-introduced, previously rejected claims and the like -- his file wrappers were so convoluted, perhaps by design, that it became difficult for anyone to properly follow the disclosures over the course of many years.

The fundamental problem is, I find it morally difficult to defend such abusive actions.  The patent system is meant to protect bona-fide inventors.  Lemelson was not one as far as I can tell.

- Jeff
« Last Edit: Mar 24th, 2005, 9:12am by JSonnabend » IP Logged

SonnabendLaw
Intellectual Property and Technology Law
Brooklyn, USA
718-832-8810
JSonnabend@SonnabendLaw.com
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »