The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 28th, 2020, 2:14am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Re: Simple idea but would filing get complex?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Re: Simple idea but would filing get complex?  (Read 1884 times)
Wiscagent

Re: Simple idea but would filing get complex?
« Reply #5 on: Mar 18th, 2005, 12:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm not familiar with Alpha Centauri patent law; nevertheless I would recommend that Joe apply for a US patent.

According to 35 USC 105 Inventions in outer space, "Any invention made, used, or sold in outer space on a space object or component thereof under the jurisdiction or control of the United States shall be considered to be made, used or sold within the United States for the purposes of this title, except with respect to any space object or component thereof that is specifically identified and otherwise provided for by an international agreement to which the United States is a party ..."

Since it is likely that the Boeing 747 is under the jurisdiction of the United States, it would be prudent to apply for a US patent as well as an Alpha Centurian patent.  This would give Joe the option of suing for infringement in a US Federal court.  Note that the statute reads "... otherwise provided for by an international agreement ...," it says nothing about interplanetary or interstelar agreements.

Rich
IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »