The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 28th, 2020, 1:12pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Re: Best way to assess my invention?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Re: Best way to assess my invention?  (Read 769 times)
Wiscagent

« on: Mar 9th, 2005, 12:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Joonsus asked "Are there any proven cost effective ways to determine if my invention is worth the money spent for a patent?"

No, there are not.

There are certainly some general indicators that can be used to estimate the probability that an invention may be (a) successfully patented and (b) profitably sold.  

A good knowledge of the technology, i.e. familiarity with the industry / technology and actually studying the references found in a prior art search can help you determine if your invention is novel and non-obvious.  Of course, your understanding (or your patent practitioner's) is not determinative; the patent office actually makes the decision.

Tools to estimate market size, your potential share of the market, and potential profitability are available.  Unfortunately, the estimates are frequently inaccurate; especially when the data inputs (such as advertising budget, manufacturing costs, distribution costs, and overhead) are not accurately known.
IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
JSonnabend

Email

« Reply #1 on: Mar 10th, 2005, 6:30am »

on Mar 9th, 2005, 12:28pm, Wiscagent wrote:
Joonsus asked "Are there any proven cost effective ways to determine if my invention is worth the money spent for a patent?"

No, there are not.

For better or worse, I have to agree with Wiscagent.

I find that some clients think obtaining a patent is the end of the game -- they believe that with a patent in hand everything else will fall in line.

The more realistic clients recognize a patent for what it is: one more business asset.

The best advice I can give is to find an IP attorney who you trust and with whom you can develop a good raport.  He or she will be able to counsel you on how to maximize your competitive advantage economically.  I do it all the time in my practice.

- Jeff
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2005, 6:31am by JSonnabend » IP Logged

SonnabendLaw
Intellectual Property and Technology Law
Brooklyn, USA
718-832-8810
JSonnabend@SonnabendLaw.com
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

« Reply #2 on: Mar 10th, 2005, 9:40am »

I'll agree with Wiscagent and Jeff.  And, I'll add a little of my own perspective.

Jeff is right; patents are business assets.  As such, determining their value and extracting that value are very different endeavors from creating the assets in the first place.

To use an analogy that might help those unfamiliar with what patent practitioners do, asking a patent practitioner what your patent/idea is worth is like asking an architect what your house is worth.  They might have a rough guess for you (if they have any idea at all), but that's not their expertice.  And, they could probably tell you things about your house that could have been designed differently that would make it worth more.  That is their expertice.

When you want to build a house, see an architect.  When you want to sell a house, see a real estate broker.

When you want to build property in an idea, see a patent practitioner.  When you want to sell/license that property, see a licensing attorney.

Regards.
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »