The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Aug 25th, 2019, 1:03am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   How to sell a patent
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: How to sell a patent  (Read 9294 times)
EA_Pres

How to sell a patent
« on: Jan 28th, 2005, 2:51pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

We are interested in selling our patent. Our product was put on the market in 2002. Sales are growing nicely, and over half our sales are to resellers overseas.  

We want to offer our patent for sale to some large companies, and need to know what large companies look for, in terms of documentation, to consider purchasing a patent. We are considering offering a 20 to 30 page document that essentially includes our buisiness plan along with current finanicals and projected growth.

Is this what the large companies look for when being offered a patent or will we overwhelm them with details?

EA Pres
IP Logged
Daretodream

Re: How to sell a patent
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30th, 2005, 7:30pm »

If your product sales a growing why would you want to sell your patent? Think about licensing it. You can license to more than one company. Hold on to your patent, this is your only leverage. Since your product has not been on the market that long you probably won't get any real amount of money for it. Just a thought
IP Logged

Cindy
How to sell your product to Wal-Mart
http://howtosellyourproducttowalmart.com
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

« Reply #2 on: Feb 16th, 2005, 2:08pm »

I only handle the IP side of that equation, not the business side.

On the IP side, they'll want to see clear title -- preferrably recorded at the USPTO, an evaluation of the breadth of claims, all feasible work-arounds, and any weaknesses in enforceability.  They may want a prior art search as part of their due diligence.  They really ought to do their own due diligence, so don't do that for them.

On the business side, they'll want a clear picture that this will make them money.  Exactly what goes into making a case for profitability is beyond what I do.

Good luck!
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
Dr.Chitra Savangikar
« Reply #3 on: Jul 3rd, 2007, 11:48am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I too want ot sell my patent application filed in US, EPO and India in area of nutraceutical to global companies. Will it be useful to subscribe to patent auction? Any tips would be useful. Thanks

Dr. Chitra Savangikar

Inventor
IP Logged
Tom Meitz
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28th, 2007, 3:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hey everyone, I'm new to the site. I posted my patent for sale on several sites. I had the best response from ideabuyer (ideabuyer (dot) com) from which I had over 20 inquiries in 2 months. I ended up licensing it to a company that contacted me on their. When I posted it only cost about $30/month.  Definitely worth it. Hope that helps.  

Tom
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »