The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 28th, 2020, 2:20am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Design Patent pending: Where to start to sell
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Design Patent pending: Where to start to sell  (Read 1222 times)
Sunny

Design Patent pending: Where to start to sell
« on: Jan 19th, 2005, 6:29pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have applied for a design patent for promise ring. This ring is unique, as it is not just a ring, but it has other things in it. I made it with gold and many of my friends were amazed and surprised to see its beauty and functionality. It is like a two-in-one or three-in-one ring. It is their curiosity that hinted me to apply for a design patent. I am sure it will have big market; not that it is my baby invention. I want to make money, but I still want to have the patent on my name. So, I would be just leasing the idea.

Now, where shall I startHuh

Will the registered patent attorney know how to sell it for good price to the manufacturer? I thought patent attorneys only know the paper work related to applying for a patent. If not, which type of attorney shall I hire?  

What would be the approximate fee for the whole process?

In case, I should contact the jewellers like Tiffany, whom to contact (I mean, purchasal manager?)?

What is the usual amount I can expect to start bargaining from with the manufacturer?

Is it better to wait, till I get patented?

Kindly send in your advices. Thank you.
Sunny

IP Logged
JSonnabend

Email

Re: Design Patent pending: Where to start to sell
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20th, 2005, 8:58am »

on Jan 19th, 2005, 6:29pm, Sunny wrote:
I made it with gold and many of my friends were amazed and surprised to see its beauty and functionality.

A design patent does not protect functionality, just the novel, non-obvious ornamental aspects of the design.

Generally speaking, patent attorneys are not in the business of shopping patents around.  Some claim they are, but I'm always skeptical.
IP Logged

SonnabendLaw
Intellectual Property and Technology Law
Brooklyn, USA
718-832-8810
JSonnabend@SonnabendLaw.com
Daretodream

Re: Design Patent pending: Where to start to sell
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30th, 2005, 7:40pm »

You don't use an attorney to market your products. This can be done yourself. If your product is truly unique you should have no trouble licensing it to manufactures. This is where you make good money. You own the patent and they have the job of making, marketing,and promoting your products. I have done this many times. Take a look at my website and see how I did it. I do not sell or offer any kind of services on my site.  I hope no one thinks I'm spamming. Hope this helps.
IP Logged

Cindy
How to sell your product to Wal-Mart
http://howtosellyourproducttowalmart.com
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »