The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 26th, 2020, 8:21pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   patents for poor people ???
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: patents for poor people ???  (Read 1680 times)
JSonnabend

Email

Re: patents for poor people ???
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31st, 2005, 9:46am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Quote:
You will get what you pay for. Frankly, if you expect to obtain a defensible US patent for less than 5000 USD, or to do most of the work yourself without professional assistance, you should probably forget about a patent.  

This is one of the truest things I've heard in a long time.  The reason patents aren't cheap is that they provide significant benefits to the recipient (assuming a properly drafted patent) in the form of a government granted monopoly.  

The higher fees help to ensure that inventors apply for patents only for inventions they believe to be commerically viable; that is, if an inventor doesn't think he can recoupe his investment in the patent, then he should be discouraged from applying.  Whether the fees effectively achieve this goal is another issue, of course.
IP Logged

SonnabendLaw
Intellectual Property and Technology Law
Brooklyn, USA
718-832-8810
JSonnabend@SonnabendLaw.com
robertplattbell
I can't afford a Patent - now what?
« Reply #6 on: Mar 5th, 2005, 3:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I wrote an article on this exact subject.  It is too long to post here (I tried) but you can read it at:

http://members.cox.net/robertpbell/ARTICLES/I%20CANT%20AFFORD%20A%20PATE NT.HTM

Good Luck with your endeavor!
IP Logged
robertplattbell
Re: patents for poor people ???
« Reply #7 on: Mar 5th, 2005, 3:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Jan 31st, 2005, 4:01am, eric stasik wrote:
creativemind,

You will get what you pay for. Frankly, if you expect to obtain a defensible US patent for less than 5000 USD, or to do most of the work yourself without professional assistance, you should probably forget about a patent.  

I disagree in part.  The big downtown law firms charge huge fees because they have high overhead (and I've BTDT, so I know).  And some of these firms will shunt off work for small inventors to first year associates or law clerks (yes, me again) and the quality of the work can be great or dreck.

In short, Patent law work is one area where you don't always "get what you pay for."

I've had clients come to me after paying $30,000 for a Patent Application (!!!) from some big firm, and the quality of the work was sub-par.

I think it all depends upon who you get.  Research the issue carefully.  Picking a lawyer is often more important than picking a spouse!

That being said, with filing and issue fees over $1000, it would be hard to get a Patent for much less than $5000, unless it was a first action issue.

Good Luck!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »