The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 28th, 2020, 12:53pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   patents for poor people ???
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: patents for poor people ???  (Read 1685 times)
creativemind

patents for poor people ???
« on: Jan 6th, 2005, 7:56pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Cry Cry I can not believe that in the land-of-opportunity that under priviledged people have to pay 100's to 1000's of dollars to have an idea patented.is there something a poor-person can do HuhHuhHuhI need help PLEASE!!!!!! www,creativemind38@hotmail.com
IP Logged
Jonathan

Re: patents for poor people ???
« Reply #1 on: Jan 6th, 2005, 10:17pm »

In the U.S. patent system, the majority of patent related fees are reduced by 50% if an inventor or assignee qualifies as a small entity. The general guidelines are that you have to be a solo inventor who has not licensed your invention to a large entity or if it has been assigned, the assignee has to have 500 or less employees or is a non-profit to qualify as a small entity.

In addition to the reduction of fees, the U.S. patent office offers various programs to assist the solo (and presumable short of funds) inventor in obtaining a patent. In view of the potential 20 year monopoly a properly crafted patent can provide, U.S. patent fees don't seem that outlandish - in my opinion.
IP Logged
marucoke
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30th, 2005, 12:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

A provisional patent application can be had for as little as $1,000.  This gives you some time to entertain the sale of your invention to a company.

Further, you can always undertake the patent drafting, filing, and prosecution process yourself.

Nolo Press has a book called Patent It Yourself which seems highly recommend.

Also, there may be some patent attorneys that may be willing to be of assistance to you (there are IP volunteer programs out there and many of us are strongly encouraged to do pro bono work by our bar associations).
IP Logged
Daretodream

« Reply #3 on: Jan 30th, 2005, 7:15pm »

SCORE also can assist you with information to get a patent. Mine cost me around 2,000 I did most of it myself. Good luck!
IP Logged

Cindy
How to sell your product to Wal-Mart
http://howtosellyourproducttowalmart.com
eric stasik

director, patent08

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 31st, 2005, 4:01am »

creativemind,

Here is a link with some information of the true costs of obtaining and maintaining a U.S. patent:

http://www.patent08.com/the%20cost%20of%20patenting.htm (self link)

jukdla is correct that small entities can obtain a 50% reduction of fees from the USPTO. Attorney fees are of course unaffected.  

You will get what you pay for. Frankly, if you expect to obtain a defensible US patent for less than 5000 USD, or to do most of the work yourself without professional assistance, you should probably forget about a patent.  

It is indeed a pity and a failing of the patent system that "innovation" has such a high entry fee, but this is the sober reality. The costs of the patent system in most countries have always been borne by the users and the result is high costs on applicants.  

Regards,

eric stasik

IP Logged

eric stasik
director

http://www.patent08.com

patent08
patent engineering,
business development,
and licensing services
postbox 24203
104 51 stockholm