The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 27th, 2020, 10:35pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Can I start now?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Can I start now?  (Read 2724 times)
Bruce Tackett
Can I start now?
« on: Dec 1st, 2004, 8:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I have a document with pictures and descriptions of my invention signed by two witnesses and notarized. I have a working prototype of my invention. I have the results of a search conducted by a Patent Searcher, and my invention is unique.

Can I now begin marketing it? Can I say that it is patent pending while I go through the next step in obtaining a patent? While I begin the process of applying for a patent, am I still protected?
IP Logged
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

Re: Can I start now?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 1st, 2004, 9:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

You can't say "patent pending" until you've actually filed an application for a patent.

Whether filing the application "protects" you depends on what you mean by "protect".  

Does filing an application give you rights that you can enforce against others?  No.

Can you market, display, sell, and show off your invention without jeopardizing your pending patent application?  Yes.

Can you market, display, sell, and show off your invention without a pending application and still avoid jeopardizing your rights to patents later?  No.

So, having a patent application on file gives you some protection, but not as much as many people think.

Regards.
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
Bruce Tackett
« Reply #2 on: Dec 1st, 2004, 9:24pm »

Thank you, James.

Are you a patent attorney?
IP Logged
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

« Reply #3 on: Dec 2nd, 2004, 12:09am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

You're welcome.  Yes.  You can read about what I do at the link in my signature below.

Regards.
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
Bruce Tackett
« Reply #4 on: Dec 2nd, 2004, 8:44am »

ok. Thanks again. I sort of realized that my being legally protected at this point was wishful.

So, I now have two questions....................

1. At this point I now have a working model and the results of a search. It would seem to me that the next step would be to write a patent. I believe I can write a patent myself using the written patents I recieved from the search as a guide. I envision scanning photographs of my invention into a word document, pointing to each component of my invention, and assigning a number to each of those components to be used in a list of materials. Am I right in assuming this to be my next step and will writing the patent as I have described be acceptable?

2. I suspect that at some point I will have to hire a patent attorney. Would I be correct in assuming that the more I do myself, such as having a search conducted and writing my own patent, the less an attorney's fee would be for such work that would remain for him to do?

I would greatly appreciate any input here.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »