The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 24th, 2020, 10:29pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Patent Drawings
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Patent Drawings  (Read 5798 times)
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

Re: Patent Drawings
« Reply #25 on: Oct 10th, 2005, 1:16pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi Isaac,

I've never been able to successfully complete an electronic filing of a patent application.  Back when it first came out, I was using WordPerfect -- yes, I'm a rebel at heart!  Wink

The implementation for WordPerfect was not that great.  I was never able to author a document without XML errors.  Every attempt ended up in a frantic conversion to paper filing.  Luckily, I'm on the West Coast and my deadline is 3 hours later if I file paper.

The Figures were required to be in TIFF format.  That's easy with OpenOffice.org.  I recently looked into electronic filing again.  WordPerfect is no longer supported.  Only Word.  And, only in XP (maybe 2k).  That means about $500 or so to get one machine capable of filing electronically (I have no XP systems -- only up to 2k).  

If I can get someone in the USPTO to share their XML schema with me, I can use any of a number of open source XML editors to author applications.  I've thought about getting MS Office in XP running here (may be time to upgrade my laptop anyway and they all seem to come with XP) and seeing if I can't extract the XML schema from there.  Of course, if it ever changes, I'm pretty much screwed.

Of course, private PAIR requires Windows.  My laptop has a Windows 2K partition and that's were I do my private PAIR stuff.  It's still not practical to shun Windows altogether.

For what it's worth, OpenOffice.org is available for Windows and is a great alternative for drawings.  It also reads and writes Office formats (but not Visio -- nothing reads Visio except Visio).

I'd be happy to share more of my office set up if anyone cares.

Regards.
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
Jonathan

« Reply #26 on: Oct 10th, 2005, 1:51pm »

For what its worth, patent attorney Raymond Roberts of Intellectual Property Law Offices (iplo.com) occasionally offers e-filing classes thru the Sunnyvale Center for I, I and I (Sci-cubed, can't recall all the I's offhand). I attended one a few years back and he is pretty knowledgable on this topic.  

Looks like a new .pdf-based version of e-filing will be coming out soon, however, and will hopefully be easier to use.
IP Logged
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

« Reply #27 on: Oct 11th, 2005, 10:10am »

Wow!  PDF would be great!  It's certainly no more work than receiving paper, but probably more work than receiving XML.

For what it's worth, this is closer to what I do with photos/screenshots in the figures:
http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Sketch_Effect/

I do the final tweaking in the "levels" tool a little differently to get the lines bolder, but you get the idea.

That should photocopy/scan/fax well (and my drawings do -- I've done some tests).

Regards.
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
Peach
« Reply #28 on: Oct 18th, 2005, 8:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

As a newbie to the forum, I have question. I want to register a Patent. I know exactly how to present it, but I need drawings and instructions, and I need to know what to do next as far as registering it. I do not want to spend money on attorneys unless I have to. Any help gratefully received.

peachey@totallyflorida.com
IP Logged
Wiscagent

« Reply #29 on: Oct 18th, 2005, 9:16pm »

The United States Patent and Trademark (USPTO) web site is a good place to get started learning about patents.

Note that in the United States patents are not "registered".  An individual must apply for the patent and the USPTO examines the application.  If the application meets the legal requirements and the invention is novel and not obvious, then the USPTO grants a patent.
IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »