The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 24th, 2020, 10:29pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   I have a patent pending can i shop the idea safely
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: I have a patent pending can i shop the idea safely  (Read 1932 times)
JSonnabend

Email

Re: I have a patent pending can i shop the idea sa
« Reply #10 on: Oct 22nd, 2004, 3:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Oct 21st, 2004, 10:41am, JimIvey wrote:
Some products have longer life spans but can be profitably capitalized in the few years your application is pending -- think about products that are easy to manufacture and can be flooded into markets very quickly, like articles of injected molded plastic.

Jim's advice is very similar to the advice I give my clients.  One more pair of pennies' worth of thought: if the product is as Jim mentioned in the above quote, sometimes it's not a bad thing that competitors flood the market before your patent issues.  If the invention truly has legs (that is, there will be demand for years to come), then your competitors may be very keen to take a license to your patent the day it issues, so to speak, rather than fight you.  Sometimes, there is enough money to go around.

Just another thought.

- Jeff
IP Logged

SonnabendLaw
Intellectual Property and Technology Law
Brooklyn, USA
718-832-8810
JSonnabend@SonnabendLaw.com
Bill Daker
Re: I have a patent pending can i shop the idea sa
« Reply #11 on: Dec 26th, 2004, 9:47am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I just wanted to give all who shared their advise some feed back from my meeting with the manufaturer/distributor. I think it went extremely well based on a couple fronts. One I believe it is best to present the invention patent pending stage as to keep the i.e. company on their toes and prevent them from immediately picking it apart to reinvent the wheel before commencement of such a relationship. Two this particular company is a small to medium size manufacturer which gives us the chance to get into the game/industry and grow with a company that won't totally swallow us up and spit us out. The down side of this is they will sell it on the low side of the price scale which will give us less based on the percentages of sales. However they do not want an exclusive and will produce it and package it in less than three months which I believe is amazing. Also dealing direct with the president of a small to medium sized manufacturer is much more direct than going threw a BOD via standard chain of commad process in bigger companies.
Anyway thanks to all who shared in there assistance. Heres to a great new year!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »