The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 20th, 2020, 1:36pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Priority dates
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Priority dates  (Read 2822 times)
rahulvartak

Re: Priority dates
« Reply #5 on: Sep 3rd, 2004, 12:41am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Dear Jim and Eric,

Thanks for the information.  

"national applications based on PCT applications include some explicit linking between the two" was what  I was looking for and I could not find the link.  
Hence the query.

Things are much more clear now. I feel that the query has been completely answered leaving no doubts in my mind.

Thanks again.

Rahul Vartak.
IP Logged
eric stasik

director, patent08

WWW Email

Re: Priority dates
« Reply #6 on: Sep 3rd, 2004, 1:46am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Mr. Vartak,

You wrote (partially quoting Mr. Ivey):  

"national applications based on PCT applications include some explicit linking between the two" was what I was looking for and I could not find the link. "

PCT information is printed - and all other prior co-pending applications that the applicant wishes to "link" the patent to - are usually prominently printed on the front page of the issued patent.

Here is am example of a recently issued US patent which claims priority to an application first filed in Germany, and that entered the USPTO via the PCT:  

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&am p;d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=6,785,883.WKU.&OS=PN/6,785,883&RS=PN/6,785,883

The German application and filing date, as well as the PCT application number, PCT publication number, and corresponding dates are printed right on the front page. You will see the same information in EP patents.  

If you don't see this, there probably isn't any link - but you should check the prosecution history just to make sure the patent office didn't make a printing mistake - it happens.  

Cheers,

eric stasik
IP Logged

eric stasik
director

http://www.patent08.com

patent08
patent engineering,
business development,
and licensing services
postbox 24203
104 51 stockholm