The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 26th, 2020, 8:08pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Whats the first step...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Whats the first step...  (Read 1726 times)
Emjay

Whats the first step...
« on: Aug 26th, 2004, 6:50pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I know having a good idea is difficult, because the big problem is you can't share it with anyone at first. Could anyone point me in the right direction of what I should do first?

My idea uses several existing technologies but creates a new device using those technologies.  This device would be patentable right?  

I know if I present my idea to a large corporation they would love to develop this, but then again how can I guarantee I get my fair share?  

I would love to manufacture and develop this product myself but the biggest problem with this is capital and resourses so its really a dificult situation. In the end I would like to develop the product myself and later licence the use of my product to 3rd party companies (thats the dream anyway).

Can anyone give me some advice on how to get started, I appreciate your help.

Thanks.
IP Logged
W

Email

Re: Whats the first step...
« Reply #1 on: Aug 26th, 2004, 8:50pm »

What you need is a patent (utility). You may patent the implementation, not the idea. Your implementation must be new, unique, and non-obvious. Additionally, you must deal with any prior art.

To get one of these patents, you can either 1.) file it yourself (read USPTO documents), or 2.) get a patent attorney to do it all for you. Number 2 gets preferential treatment, because time and experience are working against you.  

Note that if/when a patent issues, you effectively have a deadlock on your invention. This is when you begin making your rounds to various companies.

-W
IP Logged
Emjay

« Reply #2 on: Aug 26th, 2004, 9:23pm »

Thanks for the reply W.

So I guess my real question was, (and this is an example) if I were to take a pair of sunglasses a gps system, and small lcd screens and make a gps sunglass unit could I patent it and protect my rights?

(haha thats not a bad idea btw)

IP Logged
W

Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 26th, 2004, 10:42pm »

Yes. But only if someone else has not already created such a system.

IP Logged
W

Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 26th, 2004, 10:44pm »

Oh, and as a reminder (just in case anyone forgets): do not disclose your invention to these forums until you have either filed for a patent or talked with an attorney.

-W
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »