The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 20th, 2020, 1:13pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Auslander/Frozen Out
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Auslander/Frozen Out  (Read 1553 times)
John Miller
Auslander/Frozen Out
« on: Aug 15th, 2004, 7:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Please, once and for all, give all the details on costs and procedures for getting a Reality Check, Elaine Workshop or anything else you offer, and be done with it.  For us long time readers, your repetitive posts with the same “non-information” is getting very boring and tiresome.  Get a personal web site for your services, so people can visit it if them want your services.  Right now you are like a person sitting on the front porch who has to say something to everybody who passes by.

The people who ask questions on this bulletin board want answers, not your quick one liners than have very little to do with their particular question.  The posts by Jim Ivey and Eric Stasik have made this forum informative and fun to read; but your posts are neither and just get in the way of the readers.

I am sure you have many years of knowledge that could add to this forum, if you chose to give it.  If you have some specific information to answer the person’s question, then please post it.  If on the other you are just going to say the same thing you have said 100’s of times before, then resist the temptation.
IP Logged
DR
Re: Auslander/Frozen Out
« Reply #1 on: Aug 28th, 2004, 6:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Touche'.....and DITTO  on all that!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged
eric stasik

director, patent08

WWW Email

Auslander/Frozen Out
« Reply #2 on: Aug 30th, 2004, 1:14am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hey now,

as a frequent visitor and sometimes contributor to this forum, i welcome mr. auslander's particpation.  

the mantra that mr. auslander preaches in this forum is actually right on the money. essentially he is saying in his short posts what it took me 100 pages in my book to say:

1. most patents are not worth the money spent to obtain them,  

2. you have to look at the business case BEFORE even thinking about paying an attorney to file a patent.  

the facts bear this out: audit after audit reveals that 80% or more of corporate portfolios are comprised of junk or "productivity enhancing" patents which add little or no value to the portfolio. for small companies who are more focused, the percentage is not nearly so high, but for individuals who have no experience with the patent game the number is well over 90%.  

it is a big part of my consulting business to analyze portfolios for licening potential and it is my personal experience that this is not hyperbole. some portfolios contain a few gems, but almost all of them contain a great deal of junk.  

why? primarily because most companies have no real patent strategy and don't bother to think about the business case before filing a patent. they obtain patents on good ideas instead of obtaining good patents.  

it costs between 5 - 10 thousand USD to obtain a US patent, and ten times this much if you want to get broad international protection. building a portfolio of tens or hundreds of patents is an enormous investment.  

even if a patent provides value to its owner, it has to provide a substantial return on investment due to the uncertainty of the investment. in other words, the payoff has to be worth the risk. frankly as an investment vehicle, patents would not even reach junk bond status in terms of risk.  

all mr. auslander is saying is look before you leap. if you do not have a business case, you have no business thinking about a patent.  

it is like stockbrokers saying past performance is no indication of future returns, or the label on a deck of smokes that tells you smoking causes cancer.  

annoying, constant, and necessary reminders.  

i love working with inventors, but it is my job to throw cold water on them - even if they don't ask for it or want it. i don't know what a REALITY CHECK is, but apparently it is simply mr. auslander's own trademarked cold shower for inventors.  

finally, please consider that mr. auslander's USPTO registration is 18376. mine is 37944, mr. ivey's is 37016.  

as these things are assigned in sequence, i assume that mr. auslander is a considerably more senior member of this profession than i and that counts for something in my book. i believe he mentioned once that he is a veteran of world war two so the guy's been around.  

i too would appreciate if mr. auslander would share more of his experience with us, but i personally have no problem with being reminded of something that is so easy to forget.  

regards,

eric stasik

IP Logged

eric stasik
director

http://www.patent08.com

patent08
patent engineering,
business development,
and licensing services
postbox 24203
104 51 stockholm
sweden
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

« Reply #3 on: Aug 30th, 2004, 9:10am »

While I generally prefer not to post things which are about other posters here, I'll just partially echo Mr. Stasik's point.

First, I believe I understand what Mr. Auslander is doing and why, and I don't fault him for.  Personally, I have a different approach to the marketplace, but I don't see anything improper with his approach.

Second, I general, I agree with Mr. Stasik.  However, I think the posts of Mr. Miller and DR are frustrated that, when Mr. Auslander posts, he posts essentially the same answer to every question.  I think there are more effective ways to get his point across.

With respect to all posters here,

Jim
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
W

Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 30th, 2004, 12:42pm »

Advice dispenced on these forums reflects the general vibe of intellectual property: secure an attorney. Someone who is specialized in what you want to do.

In this regard, Mr. Auslander's advice seems to go for the jugular ("Let's not waste time giving you knowledge that you (probably) do not know what to do with; instead, let's run you through a process to see what you have and what you need").  

Sure, it is presumptuous, but for 75% of the people visiting this board it may be (cost and time) effective.

-W  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »